Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ! Wrong bolt pattern most Studes use 4&1/2 pattern

Comment

You really would not want to run 'real' magnesium wheels.
      Racing sanctioning bodies don't allow them for fire reasons.
      They tend to leak air.
      They are horrendous to keep polished.

But.. They are nostalgic, and people can be separated from their money using that word.

Aluminum is much better...
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Corrosion is a problem which is why many racing organizations don't want them as they may have cracks.
        David L

Comment

Cracks...!?
          If anyone is to use them for racing, it's required to have them Zygloed or Dye Penetrant tested, or in other words "checked for cracks" !

There are MANY...motorcycles on the road today with...magnesium wheels holding the tire full of air..! And they have no tubes either. I've owned several in the past. Own one bike now with "magnesium" wheels.
          The main reason "some" automotive race organizations don't also them, is yes, they are more brittle than formed or even cast aluminum (though you may notice that cast "aluminum" wheels break pretty easily when they come into contact with curbs also). The organizations that do allow them require to be checked for cracks on a yearly basis.
          Corrosion...that's pretty visible...last I checked.

So many wheels, so many stories..!

Mike

Comment

The original Halibrands on my Avanti hold air with no issues. Too bad these wheels wont fit a Studebaker. They would look good on a '53 coupe!

Comment

Working...
            X