starter wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: starter wiring issues

I had my 1950 Champ in storage about 7 years. A local shop got it running and put a new battery in it. The battery was grounded to negative. The car ran and I drove it about 2 months - maybe 50 miles, I noticed that the amp gauge did not show the system charging but I assumed it was old and not working. On acceleration, it showed a discharge, I went on vacation and the battery was dead after about 2 weeks away.

When I recharged the battery and tried to start it, the starter (which had been weak) wouldn't turn the engine. I took it off and after it was rebuilt, I hooked up the wiring like it was and it won't start. I need help to get it wired right and the car running. I have a shop manual.

I assume the positive lead from the battery should have been hooked to the ground strap to the engine block? The shop had it negative grounded. On the starter relay (solenoid), the negative post should attach to the top and the wiring harness to the bottom? Or is nothing on top? the positive wire from the coil should attach to the distributor? Did it short the coil?

Is the voltage regulator now reverse polarized? If so, how do I correctly polarize it? Are their other things I should try? I just realized the battery was reversed by the shop when I checked the wiring diagram. I was happy the car was driveable after a long absence.

All help would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Maybe that's what makes me love the Champ.
    Last edited by gsergent; 12-20-2015, 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

Sounds like you are in desperate need of reading the Studebaker Shop Manual.

Yes it will need Polarizing and connected Positive grounded. The Ground Coil Lead wire to the Distributor may still be on the correct (+) Terminal unless your "Shop" changed it, if they did just reverse it with the (-) Power Lead to the Ignition Switch.

The Manual explains in Electrical System that you jump the Batt. term. on the voltage regulator to I believe, the Field Terminal on an Autolite System like your Champion would have, but check the manual to be sure, it only takes a quick flash of power to polarize it.

The Battery may need to be drained of Power before charging with the correct Polarity, as it probably did get charged backwards.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2015, 04:42 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The car seller did the same thing to the new battery in the 1950 Champion my neighbor bought. I reversed the battery and drove the car 100 miles home for my neighbor. Everything worked fine until I got into the stop and go rush hour traffic in MPLS. Then the generator quit charging. I removed the generator and checked it out, and it was fine. I checked out the voltage regulator, and it was also fine. I put the generator back in, polarized it, and everything started working OK again. It's been fine ever since, except the battery wouldn't hold a charge, and it was replaced free under warranty.

I hope your battery hasn't been reverse charged, because I have no luck draining them and charging them back the correct way. If the battery is new and won't hold a charge, just get it replaced under warranty.

As Rich mentioned, the shop manual is your friend, and every car owner should have one, and use it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm a guy. I don't stop to ask directions and I only read instructions when I can't get something done. Seriously, I bought the Champ when I turned 50 - 12 years ago and hope to keep it running as a retirement project. I have enjoyed it very little in the last decade as it was stored the biggest part of that time. I will be reading the manual tonight and taking advantage of the warm weather this weekend to try to get things right. Is there any specific type of wire to use as a jumper wire for polarizing? Is a jumper cable too large?

Comment

Yes a Jumper Cable has Large Clips and will touch more than one Terminal at a time, WAY too Large.

Just an old piece of 14 or 16 Gauge headlight, Trailer Light wiring kit, or an alligator clip jumper wire as sold at Harbor Freight and Auto Parts Stores all have small gauge wire and small enough to only touch ONE Terminal on each end.
          You only TOUCH the Terminals, do not hold for a length of time.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I read the manual and educated myself on jumper wires. I see jumper cables are way too big. If I use an old wire does it need be a single wire or will smaller wiring with connectors on each end work? I can make one with some old copper wire(stranded)I have in the garage. I touch the A and B terminals on the voltage regulator momentarily? Should I see a spark when the touching occurs? Sorry if I am showing my ignorance. I haven't been a backyard mechanic in 40 years.
            Last edited by gsergent; 12-22-2015, 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Any reasonable size wire (or even a pliers) will do the job. You should see a small spark and it only takes a fraction of a second to polarize the generator.
              If the belt happens to be off, then the generator should turn slowly in the normal direction of rotation when you polarize it.

Comment

Are you SURE the manual said for a Autolite System you touch the Batt. Term. to the Armature Terminal of the Regulator?
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Autolite used on Fords is different, but the Autolite on my 1950 Champion the field is grounded through the voltage regulator, similar to the Delco systems used on GM cars, so it makes polarizing easy by just jumping the battery and armature terminals together.

Comment

Working...
                  X