Relic from old plant security building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relic from old plant security building

This week my Uncle Matt passed away at age 91. I couldn't help but think in light of the recent announcements in the South Bend Tribune regarding the repurposing of the last remaining manufacturing plant on the Studebaker campus that my Uncle was the first tenant other than Studebaker in the oldest building at Studebaker's. A couple of years or so after Studebaker closed, he opened the then existing Matt's Antenna Service in the old plant security building, often referred to as the "Guard Shack." This was the time before cable service was available and most people had an antenna at their house. The Studebaker building was full of antennas and antenna towers when he operated there in the seventies. He eventually retired when cable television became the norm. However, in order to make room for his inventory, he saved a Studebaker parking lot sign with the intent of reusing the sheet metal, I'm sure. I acquired it when he moved into a retirement home. It's interesting because it obviously was created prior to 1956 and modified by someone using letter stencils when the corporation became known as Studebaker Packard. It was originally created by Stout Sign Company of St. Louis as can be seen clearly printed on the sign bottom.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Matt's Antenna Servoce.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1750113Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00764.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1750114~
    Last edited by BigBillyHawk; 12-22-2015, 09:16 AM. Reason: reminded of new detail

That's a really Cool old, original Studebaker relic Billy!
    I would guess it was most likely originally made in the 1947 to 1953 era, before the 1954 Packard Merger.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's a cool sign !
      Would be neat to see an original old picture of the lot with this sign in it....someone must have one
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

What a great piece. Not only because of its Studebaker relevance, but more importantly its family connection.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That is neat, was that the norm ? I mean did the big 3 not hold Them Selves responsible for Employee's Cars in the Day ?
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I got one gust like that one but the Packard was removed !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Hook View Post
              I got one gust like that one but the Packard was removed !
              Was it "removed" or is your sign from prior to the merger in Oct. 1954?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X