1956 Studebaker Champion Four Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Studebaker Champion Four Door

I am wanting to add power steering to my car and would like to know if anyone could tell me where I would be able to get brackets? As that would seem to be the big hold up on this project. The rest I think I can get? Is that right? Thanks John

I can't imagine a Champion being front heavy enough to require power steering! Have you checked the steering box for wear? These typically suffer from a lack of maintenance or use of the wrong lubricant.

How wide are your wheels and tires? I would be looking at other factors that may be increasing steering effort first. Champion steering of this era may be slow but its usually not that heavy.

Also, the Saginaw integral powered box used by Studebaker during those years was for V8 models only and not really suitable for 6 cylinder cars. The later Eaton/Bendix link type power assisted steering system would be easier to adapt and probably more affordable.

Chris.

Comment

Chris

Thanks for the heads up. It means a lot to me.

Comment

To make it steer a lot easier is to adapt a 1962-66 Lark , Saginaw steering gear.
        These are ball bearing units and steer a lot easier.
        Search the archives for posts on this subject

Comment

Make that '61 to '66 Lark and Lark Type Saginaw Recirculating Ball Type Steering Gears.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys. Dose it matter if it is a six or eight cylinder? StudeRich, rkapteyn
            Last edited by John McElfresh; 12-19-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Six or eight should not matter - real difference between steering boxes was power or non-power. As mentioned earlier - tire width will make a difference. If the wheels are not Studebaker, the offset might be off enough to increase steering effort. Make sure all those pivot points are well lubricated, including the central pivot point that is centered in the cross member - there is a grease zerk inside of an opening on the backside of the cross member.

I was told once that an easy way to see if the steering mechanism is "good", with both front wheels off the ground, you should be able to grab one of the tires at nine and three, and work it back and forth through the whole range - should not take much effort to do so.
              Last edited by 62champ; 12-19-2015, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  Six or eight should not matter - real difference between steering boxes was power or non-power.
                  Do not worry about Power or non-Power either, they are all the same except Manual Steering Convertibles and Wagonaire's from '63 to '66 which have even easier to steer, slower Steering Gears that also would work.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X