Two Speed Wiper Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Two Speed Wiper Switch

I'm installing a two-speed 12V wiper motor from a 1962 Hawk in my 1955 truck. My question is: In high-speed mode, are both the high and low speed circuits (red and yellow wires) energized at the same time, or is only the high speed circuit (red wire) energized? The information will tell me how to wire my aftermarket switch. Thanks.

Anybody know if both circuits are energized at the same time or singly?

Comment

Can you develop a HOW-TO section on this? Is this motor a direct bolt in or what needs to be changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
        Can you develop a HOW-TO section on this? Is this motor a direct bolt in or what needs to be changed?
        I have not received the Hawk wiper motor yet, but the illustrations show that the only physical difference between the Hawk and truck wiper motors is a four-bolt rectangular bracket that bolts to the truck. Both the truck and Hawk gearbox have three equally spaced mounting bosses to which the truck bracket attaches.

Comment

I'm using an aftermarket dash switch to control the wiper motor so I need to know what wires (red, yellow, green, black) are hot in the OFF (PARK), SLOW, and FAST switch positions.

Comment

Will a Google search turn up the wiring schematic for the 62 Hawk? That would be the best information source.

I worked on GM cars in the 70's at the dealership, but only had to service a couple wiper motors. On those I seem to recall both circuits (field windings) being energized for the slow speed, but only one circuit for the high speed. One circuit countered the other for the lower speed without reducing the motor torque. Don't quote me on this, as it's been a lot of years, and these Delco units may not be the same principal as your motor.

Comment

I can't imagine a beautifully designed Hawk dash NOT having a CORRECT Wiper Switch.

I think it would be worth the effort to find one on eBay and make it look right, as anything less would be totally out of place. Only my opinion of course.
              One plus would be, you can wire it per the Studebaker wiring diagram.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I can't imagine a beautifully designed Hawk dash NOT having a CORRECT Wiper Switch.

I think it would be worth the effort to find one on eBay and make it look right, as anything less would be totally out of place. Only my opinion of course.
                One plus would be, you can wire it per the Studebaker wiring diagram.
                It's not in a Hawk. I'm installing a Hawk wiper motor and aftermarket switch in a 1955 C cab.

Comment

I guess you don't have a original switch? The six volt switches work fine with this change. Use a car switch. I used the original switch on my 53 and made this mod. Look on the wiring diagrams on Bob Johnstones site, like 56 and the year switch you use. It's a ground type thing.

Comment

The older heater motors (pre 1962 Hawk) used a single winding motor and reduced speed by switching the power through a resister and slowing the speed down.
                    These switches with the resistor built in always were problematic because the nichrome wire used for the resistor was crimped to the switch and time takes its toll and the connection between the switch contacts corroded and made poor connections and the fact that the resistors became hot when in low speed did not help.
                    Matter of fact look at the conversion kit Studebaker put out for the 1956 sedans with a separate resistor mounted on the firewall.
                    In 1962 with Studebaker making constant improvements on their excellent products , they decided to use a two speed motor eliminating the problematic resistors.
                    These 2 speed motors can also be used on older models but require some rewiring.
                    On Bob's pages http://www.studebaker-info.org you can find the wiring diagrams from your vehicle and the 1962 Hawk to figure out the wiring change.
                    Chuck Collins also has the wiring diagrams on his site including many helpfull tips.

Robert Kapteyn
                    Last edited by rkapteyn; 12-19-2015, 06:22 AM.

Comment

new wiper set-up

On my '57 TranstarI have the original wiper motor and two position switch. Which does not work all that well in heavy rains. Is it possible to just change the switch to a variable speed unit?
                      If I have to change everything does anyone know what is the replacement choices?

Comment

Working...
                      X