Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last NASCAR Studebaker

Cool beans here. 'Gotta love the stance::

So much history yet to be learned...and if it has to do with NASCAR, Bob Coolidge will teach it!

Thanks, Bob. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That's terrific! Glad that this image wasn't lost to time. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Bob, you are certainly bang on about Bob Coolidge. Anything you want to know about Studebaker in racing Bob Coolidge is the man. I get together with Bob every winter in Florida and look forward to seeing him again in February.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I used to see a GT hawk race in the Usac Yankee 300 at Raceway Park in the sixties. It said 304 CI on the hood. It was unfortunately a backmarker, but it looked grand! They raced two heats on the road course. It was great fun watching them race with the big stockers. I saw Hurtubise, Foyt, Jones and others. For the sports cars My most memorable weekend was watching the #95 Cobra factory car driven by Bob Johnson race on Sunday and go through tech. on Saturday. In the race the cobra started on the pole but ultimately finished second as it drizzeled all through the race. a 57 corvette on street tires worked his way up from deep in the pack and won IIRC.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would love to clone this car. That stance is great.
          I wonder what equipment that 289 (I assume) is packing, dome pistons, smoljan intake, home made headers. Partial flow block a GM pattern 4 speed and a 3.31 dana 44.
          Radius rods heavy sway bars front and rear. What else would be right for Aug. 5 1962??
          "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

Comment

I am also curious as to what modifications they did to the front suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Pop's Chariot View Post
              I would love to clone this car. That stance is great.
              I wonder what equipment that 289 (I assume) is packing, dome pistons, smoljan intake, home made headers. Partial flow block a GM pattern 4 speed and a 3.31 dana 44.
              Radius rods heavy sway bars front and rear. What else would be right for Aug. 5 1962??
              You've got me, Jim. Everything I know about that car is right there in the original post to the Racing Forum.

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable will see your request and reply. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You are right about the great stance. I can understand the desire to build a clone. It reminds me of a two door version of the Studebakers raced in Australia.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                  Bob, you are certainly bang on about Bob Coolidge. Anything you want to know about Studebaker in racing Bob Coolidge is the man. I get together with Bob every winter in Florida and look forward to seeing him again in February.

Stu Chapman
                  It sounds then like Bob Coolidge would be the man to ask who is still around that might know how those cars were set up?

Comment

Hmm, with the issue being fuel flow to the engine, I would assume it wouldn't have been a flow problem, that the pumps then could have pushed enough fuel in; something to do with the carb floats? Although that shouldn't have been a Studebaker issue then, if the case.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      You've got me, Jim. Everything I know about that car is right there in the original post to the Racing Forum.

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable will see your request and reply. BP
                      Oh.....I will try reading the whole thing this time. It just got me into a daydreaming so fast I didn't read everything. Boy my ADD causes lots of missed details in life.
                      Thanks Bob I will go read some more.
                      "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

Comment

Originally posted by Pop's Chariot View Post
                        Oh.....I will try reading the whole thing this time. It just got me into a daydreaming so fast I didn't read everything. Boy my ADD causes lots of missed details in life.
                        Thanks Bob I will go read some more.
                        I guess what I meant to say was that there wasn't much known beyond the original post and info from Bob Coolidge.

I'll send you Bob's e-mail addy in a PM here through the forum and you can pursue it with him if you like. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Cool beans here. 'Gotta love the stance::

So much history yet to be learned...and if it has to do with NASCAR, Bob Coolidge will teach it!

Thanks, Bob. BP
                          I note that this was Bob P's post number 289 on the Racing site. That seems appropriate.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting history lesson.

Such a shame it didn't perform well on the track. http://fantasyracingcheatsheet.com/n...hville-500/773

Craig

Comment

He started in 21st position. Which means he was faster than 4 other cars. Would like to know about the cars slower than him.

He finished in 25th position and earned $150.

Comment

Working...
                              X