Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Mouse Repellent idea

This entry from an Indianapolis-area lawn and garden columnist:

(Let's see: Now I'll have my cars stored with peppermint tea bags, original-flavor Bounce drier sheets, original-flavor Irish Spring bar soap, and ordinary moth balls!

There,
    that ought to fix the little buggers!)

This entry was placed in Studebaker-specific because, all kidding aside, it is a potential problem for virtually every Studebaker collector this time of year if you live in a climate where your collector vehicles must be stored in the winter. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm trying the moth balls and peppermint oil this winter. The drier sheets never did work for me.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      I'm trying the moth balls and peppermint oil this winter. The drier sheets never did work for me.
      Be sure to put the moth balls et. al. in a shallow metal container or equivalent. If they get damp on the carpet the smell will live on forever. The PO of my 74 Avanti threw some on the floor and eventhough the carpets been out for several years I can still get a wiff of them. BTW, interior still had mouse crap but maybe Michigan mice aren't very sensitive. I've had better luck keeping the polebarn stocked with green Tomcat mouse poison. Good luck, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Be sure to put the moth balls et. al. in a shallow metal container or equivalent. If they get damp on the carpet the smell will live on forever.
        Have you ever smelled mothballs?
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

"Have you ever smelled mothballs?

How did you get their legs open?

Nice set up.
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

beat me to it. I usually hold them up by their wings.

Comment

the best thing I have found is the little trays of DECON.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                the best thing I have found is the little trays of DECON.
                Decon used to be the best, in the spring all you would find were mouse mummies. Now the active level is so low in it that they die slowly totally engorged in blood and rot. Tomcat here has twice the level of active ingredient and seems to work better. They still die with either, however.

Comment

No mice getting into the wiring this year----I pulled the dashboard and the entire wiring harness!

Comment

The population got out of control back when my neighbor's cat died and my wife made me dispose of every serpent type reptile that lived close to the barn. Seriously, if you know you have a "legless friend" living in the general area of your cars, that's not a bad thing. Otherwise, poison trays, Mothballs, and conventional traps baited with peanut butter that seem to catch any unaware new invaders. It's a constant battle, and any successful defense is one that has multiple lines of defense. The colder the winter, the more likely they are to invade. And, I saw the ground defenses work regularly the last two harsh winters.

Comment

Allow me to blow the trumpet for raisins as mousetrap bait. You can get a raisin wedged so tightly into the trigger of the standard wooden snap trap that the little bastards cannot pull it free, but what the trap gets 'em. I have also had a banner year with one of those little gray plastic Victor live traps, baited with a raisin. Must have flushed darn near a dozen mice down the toilet so far this winter. You have to empty the trap into the swirl at just the right time, or they try to swim upstream.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

We have 5 cats hunting around our garage, the mice don't have a chance now that the chipmunks are hibernating!

Comment

Why do mice have such small balls?

Get you minds out of the gutter, the correct answer is;

It's because so very few of them can dance!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

if you live in a climate where your collector vehicles must be stored in the winter. BP
                            Unlike those of us here in the south...where the mice enjoy our cars year 'round!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I read somewhere that if you superglue a piece of dry dog food to a trap that the little critters can't take it off and will trip the trap. I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work. We had a real problem with mice where I worked and one thing that I did was to tie a piece of string to the trap so that an injured mouse couldn't crawl away with the trap and then die. I might try the peppermint tea bags,it should work at least as well as the dryer sheets.

Comment

Working...
                              X