Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 studebaker speedster white wall tires size ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 studebaker speedster white wall tires size ???

WHAT IS THE CORRECT SIZE FOR THE WHITE WALL ON SPEEDSTER TIRES

Joe

Joe Parsons

Joe, I've seen them wide and almost wide...all over the map. The first show cars may have had different WWs than the production cars. My Cokers were wider that the Diamondbacks I have on there now. The Cokers almost looked too wide. Good luck. Hope someone can tell you.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

IIRC, about 4 inch is correct.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here is a correct looking one Joe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Firestone tire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1702987 No way to measure it, but it looks like 3 to 3 1/2 Inches at the MOST, Firestone of course was the OEM Supplier to Studebaker of about 90% to 100% of the '55 Tires.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich thank you for the update and photo
          Joe

Joe Parsons

Comment

If you do an advanced search for "Just Finished" in for title only you can see a couple of pictures of my Speedster. The tires are Coker American Classic and have a 3 inch whitewall.

Comment

Ellagee , not sure how you mean to do an advance search ...can you send me photos to my email joebetsy6@gmail.com
              thanks , Joe

Joe Parsons

Comment

Coker, American Classic, 7,10 x15. Radial tire with bias ply appearance. 3 inch actual whitewall size.

Paint color: Dandelion Yellow and Grass green!
                Attached Files

Comment

You'll get various opinions on this Joe, but these B. F. Goodrich bias ply 'COKER' tires on my Speedster have a 2 5/16" whitewall....and, to me, they look just right.....anything bigger tends to overpower the car! (IMHO)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ellagee View Post
                    Coker, American Classic, 7,10 x15. Radial tire with bias ply appearance. 3 inch actual whitewall size.

Paint color: Dandelion Yellow and Grass green!
                    Your tires do look correct to me. They also look like more than 3 inch whitewall. Is that what they actually measure at?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

On a recent post by Richard Quinn he had a picture of several 1955 new unsold Speedsters and there were 3 different whitewall sizes used by Studebaker so you should be able to pick the one that you like best.

Comment

Looking at the 5 speedsters in the picture, it appears to me that the cars with the "wider" whitewalls (second and fourth cars) have the wheels(rims) painted white. So.... , is the whitewall wider or just appears to be wider because of the white wheels? Cars 1,3,and 5, presumably lemon/lime have the rims painted the lower body color.. green. Cars 2 and 4 , with lower body color white have the rims painted white. So it appears. I could be wrong.

Comment

studegary,
                          My whitewalls are exactly 3 inches. I measured them yesterday.

Comment

The www's on my 55 Conestoga are 2-3/4 coker wide whites, i took off bias ply 7:10-15 2-3/4 wide whites.
                            Last edited by clonelark; 12-14-2015, 01:41 AM.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                            X