Re-visiting the 1955 E38 in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-visiting the 1955 E38 in NJ

Hello again, Studebaker truckers ! Yes, I'm re-visiting this 1955 E38 truck previously mentioned in the forum here:

I visited it in person on Sunday 12/6/15 so it's definitely still unsold. Yes, it is a big beast, and the ramp set-up looks even huger with a vehicle on it (which it did have).
    Now, I have medium-size truck desire, but no experience (I'm like the one forum member who uses the tagline "I'm not a mechanic, but I did change a spark plug once"), so I guess I'm hoping to hear various opinions. The truck cab looks very good to excellent, no rust-through or bondo especially in the cab corners, so that's a good point. Once enough space was cleared around it, I did get the hood open to see a V8 motor, with the number 5E-3055 which I take to mean a 259 (assuming I got the right number from the right place: driver's side forward top edge on a machined plate). It started and ran OK but was too crowded in to drive more than a foot or so. The brakes are inoperable, and repairing those myself are way out of my wheelhouse. The underside looked clean, undamaged, and relatively free of obvious or major leaks.
    Anyone care to offer an opinion on costs for a total re-do of brakes on a truck like that, and parts availability ? Yes, there's still the question and expense of removing the hideous tilted and fixed-in-place ramp set-up and replacing it with at least a basic flatbed if not a hydraulic tilt one to make it more usable. And yes, I'd still have to have it transported.
    I suppose I just don't want to get into something and be way over my head right away for the short-term sake of having a cool old Studebaker truck. The seller countered my $7000 offer with a $7500 ask, so I'm still debating. General opinions of worthness would be appreciated Thanks, all.
    Let the comments flow !!

Mike Auldridge in MD
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Read that other String more carefully, LarkTruck on here OWNED this Truck!

It appears that "probably" that 259 Engine Block was rebuilt and converted to a 289 by replacing the Crankshaft and Pistons with "289" Type.

This does not seem to me to be something a "I am not a Mechanic" should own, sorry just my experience totally based on costs: $$$.

If you own a Business or a Job that clears 100 or $200,000 a year you could afford to PAY people to do every little minor repair.

The Brake Job could run 1 to 1 1/2K.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike, is this Truck a 131" Wheel base ?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

No, Joe, it's an E38-55, so that means it's 155" wheelbase. Not the biggest, but certainly not the smallest either. If I could've chosen, I would've picked a 131" one instead; I really don't need one as long as this one !
        Mike Auldridge
        Gaithersburg, MD
        301-651-4346
        1948 M16

Comment

Is this truck located in W. Patterson by any chance. What is the owners name?

Ted

Comment

There is a small market for older large trucks. To me/IMO, $7K is too much for the truck in drive-away condition.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi ChickenHawk (is that Ted Harbitt, maybe?).
              The truck is now in Belleville NJ (looks to be near to Newark). Don't know the owner's name for sure, I only know it as Rich so far. It's at a place called P Nicolette and Son (auto body, tow company, etc. etc.), in a not-the-best-part-of-town kind of place
              I got the impression that the current owner is not a Studebaker person per se, that maybe he got this as a potential flip. He says he has many Stude parts as well, plus I definitely saw two bare truck cabs on his property (E- or R-series cabs, I couldn't tell). I'm thinking he likely just bought a single lot of things and brought them home.
              Mike Auldridge
              Gaithersburg, MD
              301-651-4346
              1948 M16

Comment

For $7500 you could have two of my trucks and change.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                  Is this truck located in W. Patterson by any chance. What is the owners name?

Ted
                  Ted, when I owned the truck I sold it to Gordon Hiltbold of West Patterson NJ, but it doesn't look like he is the current owner/seller.
                  JS
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Well, Mr. Guido, I probably wouldn't take two of them but it might be fun/instructive/mutually beneficial for me to pay a visit there. After all, if I drove to NJ (275+ miles) just to see what I could see, a drive to the Richmond VA area would seem like a shorter day trip. If you're serious, please consider sending me a PM and we'll see what comes of it. Thanks !
                    Mike Auldridge
                    Gaithersburg, MD
                    301-651-4346
                    1948 M16

Comment

On ebay now. no reserve. presently at $1500.
                      American iron, real old school
                      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                      With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                          Ted, when I owned the truck I sold it to Gordon Hiltbold of West Patterson NJ, but it doesn't look like he is the current owner/seller.
                          JS
                          Gordon is the one I was thinking of. From the looks of this truck I would think the asking price is very reasonable, even if you don't care for the ramp set up.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                          X