steel wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: steel wheels

I have 1998 16" steel wheels from a Chrysler Concorde I want to use on my 1965 commander. They are pretty wide and look great on the rear of the car but hit the steering arms in the front. Are there any Chrysler wheel that will fit in the front? I have drum brakes in the front. Thanks

The Concorde is a FWD car and they typically have an inward offset that is not very conducive to older cars. I had the (1980's) Mopar Cop Car wheels on the front at one time. Unfortunately they are about $300 for a set of four now. Currently I'm running the Crown Vic Cop Car 16" wheels. My car sits high with a Chevy 350/700R4 swap removing about 150-200 pounds. Regardless, the steering is a wrestling match under 15 MPH.

If the Concorde wheels are only slightly hitting you may get away with using spacers.

Images: the wheels comparison, the wheels on the car, close up wheel, the source car
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 12-05-2015, 05:23 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Bill -

How hard are the wheels hitting ?
      Where on the rim ? I ask because if the steering is "just touching" a part of the rim that is at an angle, it's possible that a 1/16" thk. spacer can be used for wheel/steering clearance without affecting tire to fender clearance negatively.
      OR...is the steering hitting part of the center of the wheel, also see above.

Depending on "what" is touching the wheel, is it possible that a little judicious grinding of the steering part in question might help ?

Mike

Comment

The wheels aren't even close to fitting. The tire is quite wide and look great on the rear but my feeling is I should have a narrower tire on the front. I have dogdish hubcaps that I want to use. I am going to buy vw clips and try to make them work. Thanks again for your help. Also will a 16" wheel fit in the front without hitting? I like the wheels in the above pictures but want to use my dogdishes.

Comment

Hi again. I have found 15 " ford rims from a 1977 ford t-bird. They are called turbine wheels. From my online research they have the same bolt pattern as my 65 commander. Does anyone see any problems with them fitting my car? They are cheap and I like the look. I am going friday to look at them . Thanks for the help. My main concern is them fitting in the front.

Comment

Find out if you can take 1 wheel home to trial fit it to car.. Yes,the bolt pattern is the same.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
            X