Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M29C Weasel Champion 170 Engine Help

Hello
    New to the forum, my name is Jim and I live in MA.
    I recently purchased a M29C weasel with two stuck engines.
    I've had the heads off, soaking them for months now with no luck. I've come to realize that I either need to have the better engine rebuilt or I may be in the market for a rebuilt one. Does anybody know of someone in the New England area that can rebuild these engines or does anybody possibly have a rebuilt one they would consider selling?
    Thank you very much for your help and advice in advance!
    Jim

WOW! I just googled up M29C Weasel. I had NO idea that these were still "available"...

Comment

Dave Thibeault in Maynard, MA had a rebuilt 170 in stock awhile ago. 978-897-3158

Comment

Just heads up, check to see if either of your engines are original to your Weasel. The engines are pretty close to the same as what was used in a car but the distributors are different. (They rotate backwards if memory serves me correctly.)
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          Just heads up, check to see if either of your engines are original to your Weasel. The engines are pretty close to the same as what was used in a car but the distributors are different. (They rotate backwards if memory serves me correctly.)
          How would the dizzy rotate backwards, Chris?
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Call Dana at Custom Automotive Machine in Weymouth. They regularly rebuild Studebaker engines, both six and V-8. Very high quality work and they get the job done quickly. He's tied in well to the supply of correct Studebaker parts. They mostly do engines for street rods and drag racers, but they are very experienced in vintage engines, especially Studebakers.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Weasel engines are quite different from a Champion engine. The early ones had cast-iron pistons, not aluminum, I believe. The distributor did turn backward, but that was due to their being an angle drive installed, so the distributor could sit upright, and close to the block, to make the engine profile narrower on that side. Water pump is also different, and sits in a special adaptor housing, too. Oil pan is different, too. Also the carb, and all electrical accessories. Intake manifolds were drilled and equipped with bungs for a primer system on some models, but I think the later ones abandoned that.

I don't think there are any major differences in the blocks or heads, and Weasel engines can certainly be adapted for use in Studebaker cars and trucks, and vice versa, but you basically have to strip it to the long-block point and go from there.

Jim, I have a complete Weasel engine, all apart, block, head, crank, rods, pistons, etc. Pretty sure it's rebuildable. Also other Weasel parts. Of course, I am a long way from you. You can PM me here if you have questions.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thank you all very much for the reply's!
                I'll plan on calling Dana today to get his thoughts.
                Jim

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Gord

=gordr;960092]Weasel engines are quite different from a Champion engine. The early ones had cast-iron pistons, not aluminum, I believe. The distributor did turn backward, but that was due to their being an angle drive installed, so the distributor could sit upright, and close to the block, to make the engine profile narrower on that side. Water pump is also different, and sits in a special adaptor housing, too. Oil pan is different, too. Also the carb, and all electrical accessories. Intake manifolds were drilled and equipped with bungs for a primer system on some models, but I think the later ones abandoned that.

I don't think there are any major differences in the blocks or heads, and Weasel engines can certainly be adapted for use in Studebaker cars and trucks, and vice versa, but you basically have to strip it to the long-block point and go from there.

Jim, I have a complete Weasel engine, all apart, block, head, crank, rods, pistons, etc. Pretty sure it's rebuildable. Also other Weasel parts. Of course, I am a long way from you. You can PM me here if you have questions.[/QUOTE]
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Hello, still looking for a M29 weasel engine. Please let me know if anyone has one available for sale.
                    Thank you!
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X