Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Tires

Hey Guys
    I should have my 50 Champion all restored by spring and I am now looking into what tires to get. I think I have narrowed down to Diamond Back 205 75R15. I see they have Cooper and Toyo in that size but am not sure what brand would be better for my car so I appreciate any feedback. Also I am looking for more top-end speed and was wondering if anyone ran anything bigger than this on a 50 Champion?

Thanks
    Ron

If it's truly "restored" you won't have to worry about top end speed. 80 would be tops, going down hill in overdrive.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I know 80 will be about it going down hill but I would like to run 60 to 65 on the interstate with as low a rpm as possible. The car had a 455 rear end and this will be replaced with a 411 as soon as I can find one. Just wondering how large a tire people have used and what they like/dislike.

Ron

Comment

Check out the M5's (page 9 of their catalog). They have them in the sizes you need. The M5's are easier on the wallet, too...

Comment

Which catalog?
          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Ron View Post
            I know 80 will be about it going down hill but I would like to run 60 to 65 on the interstate with as low a rpm as possible. The car had a 455 rear end and this will be replaced with a 411 as soon as I can find one. Just wondering how large a tire people have used and what they like/dislike.

Ron
            I put an overdrive on my 51 Champion with a 4:10 rear end. In my opinion, the car would have been happier with the 4:56 and overdrive. That's only a 7% difference, but the engine seems like it would like that 7% of extra revs.

Are you doing any upgrade to the brakes? 50 Champion brakes are anemic, to put it nicely, and inadequate for freeway driving, IMO. Especially the way everyone else seems to drive, with their 4 wheel disk brakes and looking at their phones.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy
              Did you notice and difference in the top end? What was your top speed and cruising speed before and after? I may just see what she is like after being put back together with a rebuilt engine. Thanks

Ron

Comment

I just put a set of Kumho Solus 205/70 R15s on my Champion last month. I love the way they ride and handle, but they replaced an old set of 215/75 B15 flat-spotted bias ply tires, so anything would be an improvement. I haven't had my car up to 80 EVER, but I tried it with these tires at 55-60 on a road test of 3-4 miles and everything seemed stable and ran true. I like the look of these tires because they lower my car's stance a bit. I also think that the blackwalls look more authentic than the old, sort of narrow whitewalls that the bias ply tires had. I would imagine that the majority of Champions ran on blackwall tires back in the day. They were economy cars, after all.

John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

My 1950 Champion has 205 R75-15 radial tires, but I can't recall the brand. They look good and the car handles well with them. They are blackwall and look right at home on the car. I wouldn't mind a few lower engine RPM's at highway speed, but I try to not drive faster than 55 MPH. Even with my modern car, I don't drive faster than 60, as it only wastes gas and doesn't save that much time.

Comment

DougHolverson - Diamondback catalog...

Comment

I intended to mention in my prior post that the Kumho tires were $74 each at Wally World.
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

I know the black walls are more affordable but I like a wide white wall between 2 1/2 to 3 inches.....just screams 1950's IMO

Comment

Roy
                          Did you notice and difference in the top end? What was your top speed and cruising speed before and after? I may just see what she is like after being put back together with a rebuilt engine. Thanks

Ron
                          I never had a 4:56 in the car. The car came without an overdrive and had a 4:10 in it. Since 4:10 was an option with overdrive, I left it in after adding the overdrive. Compared to a 50 Champion I had with overdrive and 4:56, the car seemed happier and peppier with the 4:56. The 4:10 car even had a rebuilt engine, so initial power was not an issue.

You might try yours with the 4:56 first, then decide.

Initially, I had the same feeling as you, that the car would be happier and faster with lower RPM at speed. It seems that I was wrong and the Studebaker engineers were right. I suppose one could look at the engine's power/torque curves and do some calculations. I am just going by feel and 20 years of driving the car.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

i was thinking a 2.23 rear end and 235 75 R15's in the back

Comment

i was thinking a 2.23 rear end and 235 75 R15's in the back
                              Do not THINK too long on THAT one!
                              You may never get any movement at all out of that 169 C.I.D. engined Champion even before you burn up the clutch trying, Lol!

There is very good reason that Studebaker never put any higher gear ratio axle behind a small 6 without Overdrive than 3.73, a 3.54 would be be pushing it to the very Max.

Anything close to 3.07 or higher would be out of the question.

Also, any larger than P215X75R15 Tires are out of the question for a Champion Six.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X