Tires for a 1957 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for a 1957 Golden Hawk

Diamondback Toyo Tires appears to be my best choice. Should I purchase the normal, wide or extra wide Whitewalls? I have a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk . I like the extra wide ones the best on the rack but not sure how they would look on my car.
    Thanks for your help
    Paul

If your choice is the "Gangster Whitewalls" that wrap onto the shoulder of the tire like would be used on '47-'55 Cars, go for it, but it will NEVER look Like a '57 Golden Hawk.

Your Money, Your Car, but to me it will look just WRONG!

All '56 to '62 Whitewalls had a raised Black "rub strip protector" and a more recessed, narrower Whitewall than '55 and earlier tires.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

PAUL - Check out the M5's (page 9 of their catalog). They have them in the sizes you need. The extra wides are more for the cars older than '57. The M5's are easier on the wallet, too...

Comment

We've got 2 1/4" bias on our Hawk. That width looks pretty good on her.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4508.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1701706

Forgot to add that I also have the original spare, 7.10-15 BFG Silvertown whitewall width on it is also 2 1/4" if that helps.
        Last edited by Mark Klinger; 12-04-2015, 05:00 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

How wide are the whitewalls in the sales brochures? They are a good indication of the styles of the time.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            How wide are the whitewalls in the sales brochures? They are a good indication of the styles of the time.
            Of course the sales brochures do not give whitewall width. I roughly scaled the whitewall width to the 15 inch rim and came up with 3.33 inches. This was from PD 1014 ('57 Hawks).

Even the 1957 Salesman's Data Book does not give whitewall width, only tire size of 7.10-15, with no option available for 1957 Golden Hawks.

I know what they should look like, but not in inches. I think that 3.5 inches would be good and the older style 4 inch would be too wide. They are within the rub strip, as Rich stated.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Anyone have Toyo tires? That sound like a china brand to me.

Comment

I've had the Diamond Back white walls...made in the USA, on my M5 for 4 years, and running.....
                ...They have not "yellowed".......They say that they use a different process to apply the whitewall.
                I use a non ammonia glass cleaner spray to clean them, and keep them factory fresh................

Comment

Hi. I'm restoring my golden hawk finally after owning it for 45 years only thing on my bucket list I'm not sure how I found you guys but I'm glad I did I was just looking for tires how do I find you again! Thanks. Cindy Breazeale. ckbreazeale@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Cindy, welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) and to the SDC Forum!

You happened to find an Old Post from 2015 here about Tires for a '57 Golden Hawk in a Internet Search, but there is a WHOLE LOT More here than that, below is a link to the Main Club Page where you will find WAY more than just our Forum.

If you click on the "General Interest Boards" Link at the Top of these Forum Pages, you will find the List of our Forums, there are; Wanted/For Sale, Technical, General Topics, Members Cars and More!

There is also a link to Join the Club and receive the Wonderful Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" and info to join a Local Chapter.

https://studebakerdriversclub.com/

PARTS for your Car are at: https://studebakervendors.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	58 Golden Hawk. Red_ Wht.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.9 KB ID:	1918784 Here is a '58 with more correct narrower Wide White walls than most of the reproduction W/W/Walls have, especially when you get into the larger sizes.

The White should go to the Rub Rail: raised Black strip, and NOT onto the Shoulder of the tire like a pre-1956 did (see Post #2).
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-02-2021, 12:49 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X