Now W/Pix: HMM Stude Features @ Pure Stock Drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now W/Pix: HMM Stude Features @ Pure Stock Drags

The January 2016 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines just came; Studebaker got good coverage in the six-page Pure Stock Drags article, well-written by Hemmings writer Matthew Litwin.

On the first page, there's a photo of Ted's 1961 Studebaker truck with the Tomato on the back. The caption says "Drag racing legend and long-time Pure Stock Regular Ted Harbit arrived with his 1963 Stude Tomato Super Lark, delivered on the back of--what else--a Studebaker roll-back." As Bob points out, it's not a roll-back, but we'll take it anyway!

Another picture (without caption) shows Chuck Kern's white 1963 R2 Avanti; the R3 engine of the Plain Brown Wrapper is visible in the right side of the photo. At the top of the next page is a nice photo of Ted launching the Wrapper. The caption says "Ted Harbit, as he has for several years, performed double-duty during the Pure Stock weekend, driving not only his own Studebaker but also George Krem's R3-powered '64 Challenger. Now 80 years old, Ted won both match races on Saturday."

We figure that when he's 90, he'll start winning three match races at a time instead of just two. <GGG>

Both the Tomato and the Wrapper were included in the fastest Top 25 Pairing Winners.

So was SDC member Frank Remlinger's 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340. There's a nice photo of Frank's car doing a burnout. The caption says "Several racers laid down some incredible burnouts; Frank Remlinger was one in his '69 Dodge Dart GTS."

More to come,

George
    Last edited by R3 challenger; 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM.
    george krem

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
    Bob P. will add some photos later, but the January 2016 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines just came and Studebaker got good coverage in the six-page Pure Stock Drags article, well-written by Hemmings writer Matthew Litwin.

On the first page, there's a photo of Ted's 1961 Studebaker truck with the Tomato on the back. The caption says "Drag racing legend and long-time Pure Stock Regular Ted Harbit arrived with his 1963 Stude Tomato Super Lark, delivered on the back of--what else--a Studebaker roll-back." As Bob points out, it's not a roll-back, but we'll take it anyway!

Another picture (without caption) shows Chuck Kern's white 1963 R2 Avanti; the R3 engine of the Plain Brown Wrapper is visible in the right side of the photo. At the top of the next page is a nice photo of Ted launching the Wrapper. The caption says "Ted Harbit, as he has for several years, performed double-duty during the Pure Stock weekend, driving not only his own Studebaker but also George Krem's R3-powered '64 Challenger. Now 80 years old, Ted won both match races on Saturday."

We figure that when he's 90, he'll start winning three match races at a time instead of just two. <GGG>

Both the Tomato and the Wrapper were included in the fastest Top 25 Pairing Winners.

So was SDC member Frank Remlinger's 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340. There's a nice photo of Frank's car doing a burnout. The caption says "Several racers laid down some incredible burnouts; Frank Remlinger was one in his '69 Dodge Dart GTS."

More to come,

George

It's so refreshing to see that someone like Ted is doing so well. A true gentleman and an inspiration.

And... He remains a great winner!

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
      It's so refreshing to see that someone like Ted is doing so well. A true gentleman and an inspiration.

And... He remains a great winner!
      Thanks James. I appreciate that. As long as I keep having fun and am able, I hope to continue. Reactions times are suffering though. Any time I get a decent one means it was luck. Hope to have more fun with the Avanti if I ever get all the "bugs" worked out of it.

Thanks again.

Ted

Comment

The issue referenced just arrived in today's mail. Here are the two best photos:

Cool beans! BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great photos--thanks, Bob. And that's a cool picture of Frank's Dart making smoke, too.

A word of explanation about the Wrapper's 13.341/106.06 time, as listed in the Top 25 chart: That was taken from the second out of three shootout runs and was one of the Wrapper's slowest runs of the weekend. The reason is that Ted's reaction time was almost .2 second better than his opponent's R/T. Then the Hornet had its worse 60' time of the weekend (2.617)--in other words, he spun his tires a whole lot! All that resulted in Ted being ahead by several car lengths well before the 1/8-mile point, so Ted and the Wrapper just kind of loafed through the quarter on that run.

On the next--and final--run, Ted drove it harder and the Wrapper turned 12.894 and 111.26--still against a mild wind and with weather conditions generally not the best for racing.

George
          george krem

Comment

George: Now that the pictures are posted, you may want to change this topic's title. Only you (or a moderator) can do that. Otherwise, people won't know pictures are now in the topic, as promised.

To do so, click EDIT at the bottom of your original post. (Only you or a moderator have that option; I can't "help.") When it opens to you for editing, then click on the little window that says Go Advanced. That allows you to also edit the topic's title, as you will see.

The existing title is pretty long, so it would be too long and would bleed off forum user's menus if you just added a note about pictures now being included.

I would suggest you change it from:

HMM features Studebakers at the Pure Stock Drags

to

Now w/Pix: HMM Stude features @ Pure Stock Drags

When you have done that, then click on Save Changes and your thread will appear with the revised title.

Also, once that is done, you can post a link to it on The Studebaker Racing Forum. If you don't know how to do that, just say so and I'll do it for you.

BP the "Cuz"
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Slightly OT but later in the mag is a very interesting article about one owner building a 1969 Chevelle 300 and keeping it within the rules of Pure Stock to run in the 11's with a "396". Still my favorite mag. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                George: Now that the pictures are posted, you may want to change this topic's title. Only you (or a moderator) can do that. Otherwise, people won't know pictures are now in the topic, as promised.

To do so, click EDIT at the bottom of your original post. (Only you or a moderator have that option; I can't "help.") When it opens to you for editing, then click on the little window that says Go Advanced. That allows you to also edit the topic's title, as you will see.

The existing title is pretty long, so it would be too long and would bleed off forum user's menus if you just added a note about pictures now being included.

I would suggest you change it from:

HMM features Studebakers at the Pure Stock Drags

to

Now w/Pix: HMM Stude features @ Pure Stock Drags

When you have done that, then click on Save Changes and your thread will appear with the revised title.

Also, once that is done, you can post a link to it on The Studebaker Racing Forum. If you don't know how to do that, just say so and I'll do it for you.

BP the "Cuz"

Done; thanks, Bob.

George
                george krem

Comment

Working...
                X