• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 62 Studebaker Lark master cylinder for use as fluid reservoir

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500XHCNCGSR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1749112I'm looking for a 62 Lark junk, single outlet, master cylinder. It's the one that DOESN'T mount with 2 through bolts, but still mounts to the firewall...Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500XHCNCGSR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1749112
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 11-28-2015, 09:21 AM.

'55-'57 Chevrolet. So you just need a Junk Core?

It was used on Larks from 1961 to '62 and Low Trim Level: Standard, and Challenger '63-'64's which all had Single master cylinders.

Last edited by StudeRich; 11-28-2015, 04:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

IF you insist on a single M/C, please be sure to replace all the steel lines, wheel cylinders, and brake hoses! ANY of these fail, and you will have NO brakes! Also, be sure that your emergency brake is adjusted and in proper working order!
      Might be a good idea to get both E-brake cables new too. Yes, single M/C's worked for decades! But, we do not drive these cars enough to keep everything from going bad from sitting. I was adjusting an e-brake on a Packard Hawk last year, pulled on the cable, and it broke! Got 2 new cables, and when it left, the e-brake worked great.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I just need a junk MC to fabricate a remote reservoir for my under the floor MC. I want one of those so that it won't look like a remote reservoir bolted to the firewall...unless you know what you're looking at...

STUDERICH - yes...a junk one. It will be gutted...

Comment

I got that you were not going to use that as designed right away on a "K" Model, as others did not.

But I NEVER would have dreamed of that use, now that's thinking out of BOX!
          Just grind the "Nose" off of it, and you won't have to cut such a big hole in the Firewall.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            IF you insist on a single M/C, please be sure to replace all the steel lines, wheel cylinders, and brake hoses! ANY of these fail, and you will have NO brakes! Also, be sure that your emergency brake is adjusted and in proper working order!
            Might be a good idea to get both E-brake cables new too. Yes, single M/C's worked for decades! But, we do not drive these cars enough to keep everything from going bad from sitting. I was adjusting an e-brake on a Packard Hawk last year, pulled on the cable, and it broke! Got 2 new cables, and when it left, the e-brake worked great.

Jim
            Here here to every thing you say, I would like to add that even with a dual system the fronts and rears are both fed from the same reservoir, if you loose your fluid both front and rear will still fail. Your directions should apply to all systems

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
              Here here to every thing you say, I would like to add that even with a dual system the fronts and rears are both fed from the same reservoir, if you loose your fluid both front and rear will still fail. Your directions should apply to all systems
              HOW do you figure that? Dual Pistons AND Dual non-connected Reservoirs is the Norm for most Dual Masters.

The only other issue with them is, can you actually STOP from Speed with only the front or Rears working without spinning and getting out of control?
              Safely, I don't think so.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I recently discovered a bad rear wheel cylinder on one of my dual master cylinder relics. I had not checked the fluid level in a while, so I made the discovery when I suddenly had no rear brakes. I still had use of the front brakes. I stopped, found the reservoir for the rear brakes empty, the reservoir for the front brakes still full, then carefully drove home with functioning front brakes. The system worked as advertised.

I converted my 1957 Buick and my 1949 2R5 to dual master cylinders. I have one remaining single MC relic that will also be converted when I can get to it.

I like the original poster's remote fill idea. I will send a PM. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X