Need overdrive for '60 V8 Champ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need overdrive for '60 V8 Champ.

I have several OverDrive trannys, however they are for a car and won't bolt up to the truck bellhousing. Does anyone out there have an OverDrive available for a truck?

I would like to put one in my '60 Champ. The six that's in there now and the tranny are both very tired. So they need to come out till such time as I can have them both rebuilt. In the meantime I have a 259 available and would still like to have the OD to go with it.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron
    I believe if you had a short shaft V-8 OD trans that would bolt up to your 6 cyl. truck bell. Some years ago my Dad and I were planning on an OD installation but found a complete V-8 T-6 Champ with the T-85 OD trans. and did a complete swap. There's still a lot of work to swap things.
    Rob in PA.

Comment

I don't quite follow what you are saying Rob. Are you saying that a V8 tranny will bolt up to a six? Would then a swap in the reverse work (as I need the tranny for a V8, not a six)? The difference between the two is only ten cubic inches, ie: 245 vs 259. Well, okay fourteen cubic inches then. I don't know that I might just take the six and tranny to Studebakers west and have them rebuild them both. It's just coming up with the (gulp) considerable cash to do the job. In the end, the engine would likely be better than the engine I'm considering putting in the truck anyway. What I figured was that the V8 transmission would be a bit easier to fund for now than the whole rebuild. Kind of a, 'better the bird in the hand than two in the bush,' type of thinking.
      Ron Smith

Comment

I think what Rob is talking about is a T-86/T-90 3 Speed Overdrive that was used on Champion and Commander sixes IN TRUCKS with lower gears than the Car counterpart, but either would work in a Driver/Cruiser, Low Load Truck.

The REAL V8 3 Speed Overdrive TRUCK Trans. is the T-89, that looks like a T-85 H.D. Borg Warner Trans. with the Removable Side Cover.
        It won't help to get a T-86/T-90 for the Six Clutch Housing and Engine, if the Six is too tired to keep.

Go with the V8 and the more expensive, harder to find T-89 Truck or T-85 Car H.D. Trans. and Clutch housing, but be sure to get ALL 4 "Legs", the Cast Iron Engine mount Brackets for Trucks, Car Mountings do not work.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is an V8 engine and 3sp o/d for sale in the Medford craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
            There is an V8 engine and 3sp o/d for sale in the Medford craigslist.

Nothing showing there now.
            Ron Smith

Comment

Comment

Here's the link (I hope)
                Rob

type Studebaker in the search bar
                Last edited by mapman; 11-29-2015, 06:45 PM. Reason: ???

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

Nothing showing there now.
                  I have a 3 spd w/ od that came out of my 61 lark V8 I would sell.

Matt Frushour
                  270-993-9393

Comment

The Medford guy has a 259 with OD trans, running... and its only $400. Here's his number:541-770-1146
                    And BTW, if it was for a daily driver, or a beater, I would never pay someone to rebuild a transmission unless the gears were falling out of a large, gaping hole in the bottom of the trans case.
                    Last edited by sals54; 12-01-2015, 10:46 PM.
                    sals54

Comment

thanks for the phone number Sal. If I rebuilt the tranny, the parts would likely end up falling out a big hole punched out by them as they went. That kind of work is beyond my capabilities. Hence, i will pay someone who actually does know what they are doing and reap the considerable benefits of peace of mind.
                      Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I think what Rob is talking about is a T-86/T-90 3 Speed Overdrive that was used on Champion and Commander sixes IN TRUCKS with lower gears than the Car counterpart, but either would work in a Driver/Cruiser, Low Load Truck.

The REAL V8 3 Speed Overdrive TRUCK Trans. is the T-89, that looks like a T-85 H.D. Borg Warner Trans. with the Removable Side Cover.
                        It won't help to get a T-86/T-90 for the Six Clutch Housing and Engine, if the Six is too tired to keep.

Go with the V8 and the more expensive, harder to find T-89 Truck or T-85 Car H.D. Trans. and Clutch housing, but be sure to get ALL 4 "Legs", the Cast Iron Engine mount Brackets for Trucks, Car Mountings do not work.
                        The Freakin MAN strikes again.

Endless info.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Rich, I'm not entirely following this. Part of it is I wouldn't know one from the other, visually anyway. You wouldn't by any chance have a picture of the two truck trannys you mentioned (T89 vs T85) available?
                          Ron Smith

Comment

Ron, The transmissions will have the model number on the right hand side of the case. Hope this helps.

Bill

Comment

I have a 3 spd w/ od that came out of my 61 lark V8 I would sell. Matt Frushour 270-993-9393
                              The car T86 works OK in a lightly loaded Champ and is quieter in low gear than a T90 or the heavy duty T89.

Originally posted by billslark View Post
                              Ron, The transmissions will have the model number on the right hand side of the case. Hope this helps. Bill
                              Problem is, all the heavy duty trannys are in T85 cases, even when they have T89 gears inside. Pulling the side cover and seeing if the low-reverse slider is straight or bevel cut is one way to differentiate.

Jack Vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 12-21-2015, 10:22 AM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X