a-arm support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: a-arm support

I'm a newbie ,so be easy on me .Anyway here's the question, going to put in new a-arm bushings in.I read somewhere about the upper a-arms mounting bolts sometimes pull through frame.Can i put grade 8 washers or a steel plate to keep it from doing this? Bolt on no welding. It's alright now but while i was putting new bushings in i figure i go ahead and do this .The car is a 1953 champion. Thanks

A 53 Champ frame would likely be one of the lightest gauge ever manufactured. If you could get a 10 gauge piece of cold rolled sheet and cut/drill a rectangle to fit under the mount point, THEN use grade 8 hardware, you'd be well ahead of the game. The shoulders of the bolts I've seen, fit fairly snug in the holes and the threads start right after the holes, so new hardware would be required with the profile of the new assembly. Use large washers and locknuts
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

If you use the right bolts and tighten everything down properly, they should never pull out. Haven't for 63 years, should last another 20. Unless there are cracks, then you are going to have to do some welding.

Comment

With the six cylinder Champ, it is a non-issue. Just check the bolts every 5000 miles or so, to insure they stay tight. In V8 Studes, the factory tack welded in a reinforcement plate inside the frame, beginning in 1962; at least they did in GT Hawks. Also, in the late 1950s, they came out with a service bulletin, which provided field-fix instructions for welding an enforcement plate on the outside of the frame, in the same location. I have saw a few 56Js rip loose in that area. But it is much less likely to happen if the bolts are kept tight.

Comment

This was a frame from a 56 V8' sedan. Do what you think is wise..

Click image for larger version

Name:	fp0509x5410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1701657
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X