Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More misinformation

Robert Kapteyn

What he said is basically true but the ugly duckling has morphed into one of the more collectable
    Studebaker based cars.I had one 58LS1488 for 10yrs.I got a lot of grief from Packard people & yuks from Studebaker crowd.I received a offer I could not refuse & sold it,biggest mistake I ever made,was a 58K mile car with some rare options.Wish I still had it!

Comment

Of course this article seems to be more editorial that factual. The way a car looks differs according to personal taste. The Packard Hawk is a great looking automobile, in my opinion, but then I love the look of the early Saabs, bathtub Packards, and mid-1050's Dodge trucks as well. I do think the author dwelt on the negative side of the late Packard story. I would love to have a late Packard with the double fins more than the Studebaker of the same year. But then that's my opinion. Let's just say the author wrote this story as if it were fact, when in fact it was his opinion.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That being said, to my eye anyway, the Packard Hawk is one of the most god awful ugly cars ever made. I put it up there with the Pontiac Aztek.
        I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

In defense of Bill Vance, I must say he is one of Canada's most respected automotive writers. This article which appeared in the Halifax Herald is a syndicated Wheels article which is developed by the Toronto Star and distributed nationally. Bill also writes for Old Autos in Canada and has been quite supportive of Studebaker.

Without question, Bill's comments are certainly his opinion and not necessarily factual. Unfortunately, when it comes to discussing Packard after its association with Studebaker, there are going to be many negative comments out there. Equally unfortunate is the fact that many original Packard aficionados absolutely do not consider any of the Studebaker-produced Packards as real Packards.

For what it's worth, I kind of like those Packards.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I've always liked the way the Packard Hawk looks. I always felt it was the best looking car Packard built after they merged with Studebaker. I have no idea how this car could be considered the ugliest Packard ever made.. everyone has their own opinions and I guess maybe I just have different taste.

Comment

I've been a fan of the beautiful Packard Hawk since 1958. Only their rarity and the ever rising prices for well maintained one's have always kept me out of that market.
              Not the only collector automobile that has always managed to hover quite beyond my grasp. Anyone got a nice Hollywood Graham that they would like to sell real cheap?

Comment

For those of you who are Packard Hawk aficionados I have to apologize but this is what I think of when ever I see a Packard Hawk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	catfish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1701623

I also understand that the Pontiac Aztek is gaining a popularity that it never had when new.
                I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Lol yeah the Packard Hawk does look like a catfish, but heck thats one good looking catfish!

The Aztek was terrible looking for its time.. now it just kinda blends in with the other auto-abominations you see on the road today.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                    Lol yeah the Packard Hawk does look like a catfish, but heck thats one good looking catfish!

The Aztek was terrible looking for its time.. now it just kinda blends in with the other auto-abominations you see on the road today.
                    LOL, I agree. I always said that the Aztek looked like something the Aztecs would have built.

Comment

The Packards were some of the most beautiful cars built in the 1920's and 1930's. But, IMO, were some of the ugliest cars designed post war. Especially in the late '40's; I think nearly all other manufacturers were better looking.

As for the Studie / Packards. I like them, especially the Packard Hawk (OK, I am biased!!)

Comment

I'll bet the Packahawks would have made some great Bonneville cars! I wouldn't be ashamed to own one.

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                          For those of you who are Packard Hawk aficionados I have to apologize but this is what I think of when ever I see a Packard Hawk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49712[/ATTACH]

I also understand that the Pontiac Aztek is gaining a popularity that it never had when new.
                          Guessing that means that .2% like it now as opposed to previous .1% when new.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

It doesn't even matter anymore if it looks good or not to some people. It's rare, it's got a ready market, parts are mostly available and it has historic interest. I personally could not care less whether somebody out there might think it's not the Venus de Milo of cars. Let them collect and drive 1965 Ford Falcons, then.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

After awhile of ownership ,for me the begins to look ugly , so then you wonder if it's for me , it's just a car , to get from here to there. so rarity does make it more valuable ..enjoy your Packard Hawk while you can....

Comment

Working...
                              X