Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the exhaust systems the same from 64 to 65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the exhaust systems the same from 64 to 65?

The part numbers are different for the front sections until the muffler/tailpipe (which are the same p/n). Are the pipes different from 64 to 65 due to the engine change, or are the numbers just different? I assume they are different, just checking.

different engine different exhaust
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Exhaust pipe, (from manifold to muffler) are different. Muffler and tail pipe are the same.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The Exhaust Manifolds on the Canadian GM Pontiac/Arcadian 283 Engines are just SO different that there is NO way they would be even close.

People here have been using Avanti II 327/305 Left and Right Head Pipes on '65-'66 Stude. V8's to get Duals though.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had the '64 dual exhaust rear pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes installed on my '65 Chevybaker Wagonaire. I wasn't there to see how much fiddling needed to be done to match them up, but the rear sections are definitely the right ones to go through the frame and over the axle.

A big difference is that the Studebaker engines do not have the crossover pipes to link right and left sides, while the Chevy engines seem to want that. However, I have run my 283 for many years without the crossovers - perhaps at lower power than I could have - and the engine sounds more like the Studebaker engines. I was told at one point that the GM engines get the crossover effect through the intake manifold, but I don't know if this is true. I don't see any good way to install a crossover pipe in the engine compartment without it hanging down very low, but maybe one of the many people who have put GM 350's in Studebakers will chime in.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Don Simmons made me my total system for my 66 Daytona , I think mine was one of the only ones he ever made , he did a great job !
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks guys. That is what I figured, but thought I would check. I found a complete NOS system with the exception of the muffler 1555449. I am calling Silvertone and/or Parks Pipes this week for the muffler. I've had duals on my 65 for 15 years, but its time to replace them and I decided to go back to original. StudeRich, I did find a chrome NOS Stude exhaust tip but it is not for sale...oh well. I'm going to run it without. When I bought the car, the original owner had an aftermarket chrome tip on that stuck out too far and looked out of place.

Comment

Nate, I once used a n.o.s. system that was intended for the 64 4 door " both rear exhaust pipes,and both tail pipes" and used them on a 65 Cruiser. I bought OTC mufflers at that time, and of course I made My Own front pipes that mated the rear exhaust pipes and had a nice duel system.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The "rear exhaust pipes" - the pipes behind the "front exhaust pipes" AKA head pipes and before the mufflers - are the same shape from '64 to '65/'66 - but have a flattened area where they pass under the tubular crossmember that supports the transmission mount. This feature can be replicated on a '64 pipe with an artful blow from a large sledge hammer. The clearance required will be quite evident.

Comment

Working...
                  X