Performance Shocks for Rear of '63-'66 Studes. and Avantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Performance Shocks for Rear of '63-'66 Studes. and Avantis

Using Nate's WONDERFUL Studebaker Parts cross reference chart, I came up with Rear Gas/Hydraulic KYB Gas-A-Just Performace Shocks for '63 to '66 Studes. and Avantis.

That would be: KG5526 a very common '70-'81 Camaro/Firebird Rear Shock.
    Extended length: 20.43 Inches
    Compressed Length 12.48
    Stroke 7.95
    Using an E3 Mount?

This sounds like the best, or one of best available Performance, OEM +++ Shocks money can buy, many Posters here swear by them.

The Question is: it has * "Note 5", that says you just replace the Upper Pin and bushing in the Shock with your Old Pin and a New bushing that fits Both the Pin (Sleeve) and the Shock. He say's try Energy Brand 8.8141 Bushing.

I found none of these, does anyone know what to use?

This should be good info for those who want better shocks than the Standard OEM Gabriel Gas Shocks which since the Co. has been sold and the parts are made in Mexico, the LASTING Quality is somewhat limited.

Rock Auto has the best Price on the KG5526 Shock $31.79 Ea.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Energy is a Urethane manufacturer in Northern San Diego County, they will carry them in red or black. Use new sleeve the right size, since Stude used odd sized bolts for the shocks. Sometimes I have even had to make new spacers for the sides of the eye, or else do some shimming. Depends on how picky you are.

Comment

Or you can get shocks from Ride Tech... Tell them what you want and how they will be used and they'll custom make what you need.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Blisteins are much better.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

At $160.00 each I would hope so, these must be for Track Road Racing Cars or something WAY beyond a Street Driven and occasional Twisty Highway Trip driven Studebaker.

I don't see how they could be $126.00 Each "Better".
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            At $160.00 each I would hope so, these must be for Track Road Racing Cars or something WAY beyond a Street Driven and occasional Twisty Highway Trip driven Studebaker.

I don't see how they could be $126.00 Each "Better".
            Rich, you said PERFORMANCE. For all the money I'm throwing at the Commander, I'm not going to be a CASO with my shocks.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

You can always buy single OR double adjustable "coil over" shocks...and not use the coil over spring..! A spring is a spring, the shock has no clue.
              And the same the other way, the car and or spring has no idea about the shock. Then you can change the shocks action as you desire.

It's JUST a shock.
              There are MANY variations to choose from. You just need to know the extended and the collapsed lengths you need, pick the correct ends or change the cars connection capabilitys.

Mike

Comment

For the money KYB is IMHO the best shock on the market......indeed I tossed OEM FoMoCo shocks on my Grand Marquis and she now drives like a NASCAR vehicle, well not quite, but the difference was amazing. Per Jon Myer, simply changing to a Camaro shock on an Avanti is not a simple plug-n-play...there are differences that you have to be aware of
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Using Nate's WONDERFUL Studebaker Parts cross reference chart, I came up with Rear Gas/Hydraulic KYB Gas-A-Just Performace Shocks for '63 to '66 Studes. and Avantis.

That would be: KG5526 a very common '70-'81 Camaro/Firebird Rear Shock.
                Extended length: 20.43 Inches
                Compressed Length 12.48
                Stroke 7.95
                Using an E3 Mount?

This sounds like the best, or one of best available Performance, OEM +++ Shocks money can buy, many Posters here swear by them.

The Question is: it has * "Note 5", that says you just replace the Upper Pin and bushing in the Shock with your Old Pin and a New bushing that fits Both the Pin (Sleeve) and the Shock. He say's try Energy Brand 8.8141 Bushing.

I found none of these, does anyone know what to use?

This should be good info for those who want better shocks than the Standard OEM Gabriel Gas Shocks which since the Co. has been sold and the parts are made in Mexico, the LASTING Quality is somewhat limited.

Rock Auto has the best Price on the KG5526 Shock $31.79 Ea.

Comment

They need the compressed and extended number measurement(s) of the OEM Studebaker shock
                  Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                  Or you can get shocks from Ride Tech... Tell them what you want and how they will be used and they'll custom make what you need.

Comment

Working...
                  X