X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic 64 Indy 500 with Studebaker sponsered cars

I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

I was there with my Dad. We were in the infield on the inside of the track. the column of smoke from the crash was immense.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Craig Parslow is near Chicago for The 2015 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals this weekend. As soon as he gets back to the forum and back to his usual sleuthing, he'll probably find the link in which I reported my younger brother and I attending the 1964 Indianapolis 500 and sitting very close to the conflagration; so close we felt the heat and were covered with the smoke. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice shot of a spectator arriving in a Wagon. at 1:37

I didn't know Sears/Allstate made tires for 2 cars. 3:06

An entire team prancing around in STP pajamas. That Andy G !

Comment

I'm on lunch break with Ed & Nels as I post!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Pace-Car-crash

I'm on lunch break with Ed & Nels as I post!! Craig
            Good one, Craig; I knew you'd be "on it."

"Hello" to all, and 'see you guys tomorrow. Bob
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I see the lower valance on that wagon at 1:37 is already damaged.. hehe
              Love my Lark

Comment

A minor error I noticed in this video concerning the starting field..........Jim Hurtubise, who drove a front engine 'Offy' roadster in the 1964 Indy 500, is pictured in his 1963 ride, the #56 Hotel Tropicana NOVI.

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                  I see the lower valance on that wagon at 1:37 is already damaged.. hehe
                  What an eye !
                  That is a great video .... Thanks
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

One bright note concerning Studebaker and the 1964 Indy 500 was that a Studebaker owned car indeed did finish that race......Art Malone's #3 Studebaker STP Special (NOVI) completed 194 laps...and finished in 11th place.

He probably would have placed higher, because the engine was still running at about 75% power,...but he lost most of his braking power by mid race,......and slowing down to pit became a real challenge!

Comment

Probably the best chance a Studebaker sponsored (and owned) car had of winning (or at least doing really well) in the '60's at the Indy 500 happened in 1965......... when the Granatellis showed up with a smaller, lighter version of the #9 1964 Ferguson 4wd car.

Unfortunately, the 'dance' ended during practice, when Eb Rose spun in front of Bobby Unser....Unser then 'nailed' Rose, totaled the new Granatelli dream car, and finally ended the NOVI dream!

Comment

Working...
                      X