33 Convertiible barn find recovery in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 Convertiible barn find recovery in Australia

My buddy just purchased this 33 convertible, probably a rare car even in the US.
    Maybe Mr Quinn would like to comment on how many would be left in the world?
    Anyhow interesting video, hope it works, first time I have uploaded a video to the Forum.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

It's a four door convertible! I thought two door "soft tops" were convertibles and four door "soft tops" were called Phaetons.
    Or is there more to it than that?

Comment

A four door convertible can be either-- a phaeton if it doesn't have roll-up windows, and a convertible sedan if it does have windows.
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Wow! That has to be incredibly rare anywhere, especially in Australia. Maybe one of one? What a find. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
          A four door convertible can be either-- a phaeton if it doesn't have roll-up windows, and a convertible sedan if it does have windows.
          As with a lot of things the definition of phaeton can get a little fuzzy, but generally speaking a phaeton and a touring car are the same thing - no roll up windows. Studebaker was a pioneer with their four season roadster which had roll up windows. If the subject of this post is a Speedway model with the 337 ci engine, it is a very rare car. Less than 1000 Speedway President models of all body styles were made.

Terry

Comment

Find out which motor it has. The 337 or 250. Any other photos?

Comment

Richard Quinn is familiar with this car as he had been corresponding with the former owner and others since the 1970's. While it is not a 'Skyway' President, it is the only '33 President convertible sedan known to have survived.

Chris.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	33 pres conv sedan johnson copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1701568
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  There was a second rough specimen in Canada with a body number of 82 S-2 23. So we know that at least 23 were built. This car was destroyed in a fire caused by a battery charger.
                  Was this the car owned by Clark Seaborn?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Was this the car owned by Clark Seaborn?

Craig
                    Yes it was.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

It was most unfortunate to say the least! Here are some photos I took of it a few years before the fire:

There were other vehicles (mainly British sports cars) that also got destroyed in that fire.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added photos

Comment

WOW!....Way to go Brian!

Comment

33 convertible sedan

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          WOW!....Way to go Brian!
                          I'm fairly sure the two survivors in India are a Commander 8 cylinder model 73 and the other being the Gandhi killer car so named as it belonged to the assassin of Gandhi. This is a six cylinder model 56. I don't know if the car had a role in the assassination or not? I believe both cars are in good condition and the 8 cylinder car received a high end restoration.
                          There were quite a lot of upper Studebakers in India as they enjoyed a good reputation and were popular with the Maharajahs of the time.
                          A.C.Moisley

Comment

Hi Brian,
                            well that car has finally come out and hopefully gone to someone who will do something with it.

Ross and Pat were the best of people, but he never did too much with that car. I remember him showing me around it in the mid 1990's, but he wouldn't sell it then. Even when he had passed away and I went to visit Pat, she wouldn't move it on either.
                            It is my favourite year of Studebaker and it is the elusive one. Just like a 64 Avanti with thick seats, but even harder to obtain.

It is the junior burger President with the shorter wheelbase. From memory he had a spare motor as well. Parts were all over the place for that car in the shed, so I hope whoever got it managed to find them all. The simplest way to have done that deal was to buy all the contents of the shed to be sure.

So who finally ended up with it ?

There seems to be more of those in India than anywhere else. I remember in the early 80's seeing a big Mac 33 Convertible Sedan like the one Don Armacost owns in one of those glossy UK motoring magazines in what looked like very restorable condition in a barn sitting beside a mid 30's P3 Roller and some other expensive cars at one of the many Indian Prince palaces.

Regards
                            Greg
                            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Greg,
                              Tony ended up buying it, I think he was chasing it for 37 years.
                              Do you still have your Packard Hawk stash?
                              I have just bought three more PH's and I am chasing down parts for the resto's that are about to happen.
                              Between Tony and myself we have 6 Packard Hawks now.
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X