interior lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior lights

I have a 1954 champion four door sedan (Y) body and when I removed the upholstery off the center pillar between the doors at or near the bottom of the pillar is a factory cut out with screw holes for a light socket. Was there any models that had floor level lights as standard equipment or were these lights optional? I plan on installing lights in the sockets as they would offer some additional floor level lighting.

No, there never were "Courtesy Lights" in the rear of Studebakers.

That is weird that those rectangular holes still existed, I always thought they were for the "B" Pillar Ash Tray on the '47-'52 Models, but no reason they should still be in the Die for the "B" Pillar of '53-'58's.

By the way a 4 Door sedan is a "W" Body, only long wheelbase (Commander) Land Cruisers, President States', and President Classics in '53-'58 were on the "Y" body 120 Inch W/B.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might get some useful idea if you look at the courtesy lights I made for my 48, mounted in the original ashtray housing. The photos and description are near the bottom of this posting. You don't have to get fancy, just a piece of white translucent plastic would give you more light:

Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

My mistake it is a "W" body. If on the earlier models the cut outs were for ash trays they would have been quite low as these are about 6" from the floor. The cut outs are about 2 1/2" X 3" with a screw hole top and bottom, 6" off the floor. I am going to fabricate some kind of lights in there just because they are there. They would appear to be a good accessory for lighting the rear floor area.
        Perhaps they were for export models.

Comment

The stampings in my door post match the same size as in the 48 except they are vertical. They are about 2" x 4" and about knee high with screw holes top and bottom. I do like your lighting idea but I think I will use a plastic lens.

Comment

Two Doors have Horizontal Ash Trays because there is room on a Quarter Panel, 4 Doors have Vertical Ash Trays because there is very narrow space available on the "B" Pillar.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, I think these stampings were vertical ash trays in some models. In my 54 they were covered with upholstery and possibly an option. Would you know what models/years had the optional vertical ash trays?

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                Thanks Rich, I think these stampings were vertical ash trays in some models. In my 54 they were covered with upholstery and possibly an option. Would you know what models/years had the optional vertical ash trays?
                Yes, see Post #2.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X