56 Sky Hawk Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Sky Hawk Brakes

What size brakes are likely to have come from the Factory on a 56 Sky Hawk? Also, to lessen effort on the brake peddle, any recommendations on manual brake piston diameter to use?...

The 1954 to '66 Studebaker V8's all have 11 Inch Drums Front and 10 Inch Drums Rear, Finned Air cooled Drums were used on 289 Engined Cars.

They had the highest number of Sq. Inches of Lining per pound of Vehicle in the Industry and stop VERY well, but you need less than .060 oversize drums, which do not usually happen after 50 years.

When the self actuating Wagner Brake system on your Car is working properly, it does't not take an Elephant to press the Pedal!

Once you touch the Pedal and the shoes touch the drum, they help you apply them by increasing the pressure on the shoes automatically.

No need to mess with the Master Cylinder, the 1 Inch bore is adequate for the sizes of the wheel cylinders and cannot be changed.

Are the "Wedges" installed on the upper Pivot with the Arrow Forward and beveled edge Forward, short Brake Shoe Forward?

If you have poor stopping and a Hard pedal, you most likely have stuck wheel cylinders.

More info on the condition of your system is needed, otherwise we are like me, just guessing.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-15-2015, 12:55 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

STUDERICH - Thanks...again...

Comment

I've owned 2 Sky Hawks over the years and they both had good brakes with no need for a power booster. I agree with Rich, check for stuck wheel cylinders, glazing of the shoes and or drums and brake shoe adjustment. Bud

Comment

I plan on doing my brakes, including the Backing Plates, on out...

Comment

Working...
          X