Hood alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood alignment

Well, after all my hooping and holloring, I finally got some work out of my bodyman. I have been trying to tell him how to align the hood. He just doesen't believe it's done with washers. I do remember there being a "E" shaped metal shim. I can't seem to find it. I am not imagining this am I? The corner end of that hood was in pretty bad shape, he welded in a metal support and now I hope it will not buckle.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Never used shims on the hood itself, educate me.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

There isn't much alignment possible to the hood. Never with shims or washers that I know of. Generally the hood is hung FIRST, and the fenders matched to it (they do use shims).

Which is the "corner end"?

<h5>Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA</h5>
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

With the three bolts on the hinge, you can adjust the cowl to hood gap and height and some centering. I actually twist the hood carefully from time to time. Dick is correct about adjusting the front clip a bit to fit the hood too.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I found that putting some washers under the hinge "straps" where they attach to the threaded studs on the hood itself would tweak the centering. My hood tended too far to one side and washers on that side tweaked it the other way enough to center it. Maybe putting a slight bend in the hinges themselves would have done the same thing, but the washers were easier.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Just what Jeff said. The hood can be adjusted side to side
            by using washers on the upper part of the hinges; Not ideal,
            granted, but if all else fails.... I have been having problems
            getting good gaps on the sides as well. However, looks like my
            hood, that after several repairs in past years, just isn't
            quite "wide enough" at the top. Therefore it does not match
            up with the ends of the cowl, as it should to get good gaps with the fenders. I've tried all kind of tweaking, like using washers, adjusting fenders etc., but I'm still not satisfied. I've been
            looking for a different hood; no luck so far.

Comment

I thought I was the only one not happy with my hood alignment.
              McMaster-Carr supply house sells all kinds of "u" slotted shim/spacer stock. Internet www.mcmaster.com

Comment

As you can see the passenger side of the hood is driving me madI can't stand it. We finally got it to "tweek" to the left, Now he wants to take everything apart and coat the insides of the fenders "WHAT" after all that work[V] Oh well, it's not like I will be driving next week. You know We have to take everything apart anyway the air dam and the other thing that ties everything together is not on there, If the hood latch is not engaged then how do we know it's aligned?[^]

Studebakers forever!
                Studebakers forever!

Comment

I can't believe that Hawk is being actively worked on in a professional body shop.
                  Align the hood to the cowl. Align the fenders to the hood. There are different size bumper rubbers for fender to hood. I used to just use the thick ones and then slice them down as needed with a razor blade.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

What Gary said! Not to be a wise guy,but you got a lot to do before worrying about hood alignment.

LaSalle,Il
                    61Hawk
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I can't believe that Hawk is being actively worked on in a professional body shop.
                      Align the hood to the cowl. Align the fenders to the hood. There are different size bumper rubbers for fender to hood. I used to just use the thick ones and then slice them down as needed with a razor blade.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Yep, do it like Gary said.

Jerry Forrester
                      Douglasville, Georgia
                      Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I think by the 'other thing that ties everything together' you mean the radiator support? You won't align diddly 'till that is on.

LaSalle,Il
                        61Hawk
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Rodney,
                          You need a shop manual. Share it with your body shop.

<h5>Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA</h5>
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

What Gary said! Not to be a wise guy,but you got a lot to do before worrying about hood alignment.like what, give me an example. What would you be doing? The test fit is what we do before putting the car together before primer and paint. After all the welding we did we need to know what fits correctly and what does not. What do you mean or you just put everything together and hope....no we don't do anything like that never did, not to be a wise guy RIGHT

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Test fit: radiator support,front air dam and hood latch,side grilles,and front bumper.Every thing in front of the windshield,together as one unit,with all bolts tight-then it's time to adjust and tweek gaps.
                              Don't expect to be able to get every adjustment perfect,Studebaker didn't have the greatest body panel alignment when they were built,but not much worse than the brand x's of the time.
                              Also,your doors need to be adjusted to open and close,and fit the door opening all around,before starting on the front end panels.

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X