Interesting Maine Speedster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Maine Speedster!

While reading through the "1955 Speedster..not such a hot seller" thread, I noticed posted info on first and last production dates, and first and last vehicle serial numbers, indicating first and last use of the various 'President Speedster Only' factory color combinations.

It mentions that one color combo, the popular Velvet Black/Shasta White/Velvet Black, was first used on car 7167051, which was assembled on 5/17/55. This is NOT ACCURATE information!

I believe Studebaker Forum member B.MacDougall's B/W/B Speedster is actually the first Speedster painted in this color combination......here's why.............

Information found on the PO, which the Studebaker Museum provided, indicates that MacDougall's Speedster, serial# 7162560 (build date 3/17/55) was originally destined to be painted paint code P2637 (Pimlico Gray/Congo Ivory/Pimlico Gray)....however, per the PO, it was re-coded P2640..(yes, that's 2640)...and was earmarked to be shipped to the experimental paint department at Studebaker, (Attn.K.M. Laucher)

It then received its Velvet Black/Shasta White/Velvet Black paint job....some two months before this combo was used in regular production..... Also, the code for this paint combo, for whatever reason, was then changed to P2680!

Here's a pic of MacDougall's '55 Speedster I took a few years ago.........
    Attached Files

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    /Cut/It mentions that one color combo, the popular Velvet Black/Shasta White/Velvet Black, was first used on car 7167051,/Cut/
    Apparently is was actually the next to the Lowest seller (least popular) of the bunch, the least being Solid Black of course.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice color combo. solid black is too.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Apparently is was actually the next to the Lowest seller (least popular) of the bunch, the least being Solid Black of course.
        Hey,..hey.......listen here...that HURT Rich!!!!

Comment

A few more views of Speedster # 7162560....... A beautiful car, it ran pretty well although its 259 engine was a bit 'tired', so the owner had it rebuilt with stainless valves, bored with new pistons, crankshaft turned, Avanti aluminum timing gear, etc! (ala Dave Thibeault)....He just got it back yesterday.....Make room for a nice running Speedster at WARWICK '16!!!!!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

One of our Midway Chapter members sold his black/white/black Speedster last year. I thought it looked quite handsome!
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Nice color combo. solid black is too.
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60
                It mentions that one color combo, the popular Velvet Black/Shasta White/Velvet Black..........

I think you are both correct! While the black/white color combo was not a big seller in '55, a lot of folks find it very appealing in '15.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Well said Paul!........I was 'taken' by the B/Y/B Speedster color combination back in 1990, when I saw Bob Johannessen's President Speedster at the Studebaker International Meet held here in Massachusetts that year.

Murray Stall owns Bob's beautiful Speedster now (serial # 7170147) and the MacDougall car reminds me of it!

Comment

A COMMENT:.......This Speedster correction is an example of a new detail learned about our Studebakers.....I believe that there are other long established 'facts' concerning these cars that really need to be re-evaluated! (number of factory R3-R4 vehicles for example!)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      Hey,..hey.......listen here...that HURT Rich!!!!
                      I know that you know, I was just funning, because I know you have to have YOUR opinion on that!
                      I respect your right to have NO TASTE!

C O L O R is what makes the World turn, Black or White just doesn't do it.

You would like Jon Myer, those are the only two Colors of Cars he wants to own!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know that you know, I was just funning, because I know you have to have YOUR opinion on that!
                        I respect your right to have NO TASTE!

C O L O R is what makes the World turn, Black or White just doesn't do it.

You would like Jon Myer, those are the only two Colors of Cars he wants to own!

Still Rich, there's something SINISTER about a factory nosed, velvet black Speedster.....backed up by a 3 speed stick w/OD and a supercharger!!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          [/COLOR]

I think you are both correct! While the black/white color combo was not a big seller in '55, a lot of folks find it very appealing in '15.

I believe that was what Rich was really trying to say Paul,.....Well said!

Comment

Personally, the lemon/lime is what moves my needle. Yes, it's outrageous, but that was probably the point. I first saw one in person in 1981, and it blew me away.

But it's a big world and there's room for everyone's likes and dislikes. That's what makes people interesting

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                              Personally, the lemon/lime is what moves my needle. Yes, it's outrageous, but that was probably the point. I first saw one in person in 1981, and it blew me away.

But it's a big world and there's room for everyone's likes and dislikes. That's what makes people interesting
                              Ditto to all, except the first one I saw in person was about 1971, and that lemon/lime with white leather interior was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen. Then a year ago I saw that beautiful white 1953 Champion at the Studebaker museum, and now that may be the most beautiful car I'd ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X