PDA

View Full Version : Barris custom tach

paintim613
11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Dick's posted pictures of this 53 Commander dash showed a tach where my 53 has a gauge that supposedly monitors engine's optimum fuel efficiency. It is not on factory production order and I am wondering if either of these were standard equipment.

Tim-53 Studebird in Yuma, AZ

StudeRich
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a Vacuum gauge to me, in those days before the Speedster and Hawk, Studebaker did not offer ANY gauge options except a Clock, not even a gauge actually! I thought it was a Tach someone had stuffed in the Clock hole, but could have been a aftermarket vacuum gauge.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a Vacuum gauge to me, in those days before the Speedster and Hawk, Studebaker did not offer ANY gauge options except a Clock, not even a gauge actually! I thought it was a Tach someone had stuffed in the Clock hole, but could have been a aftermarket vacuum gauge.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dick Steinkamp
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
The size of the individual gauge "pods" on the 53 and 54 Commanders lent themselves to the installation of aftermarket instruments. A tach was commonly installed in the clock hole. I agree with Rich's guess that it is a vacuum gauge. These were common aftermarket items also, and in a size that would fit in the pod.

Standard Surplus did sell '54 Commander dashes with a tach in the clock hole. I think they were for marine applications. They were mechanical and probably just another speedometer with a different face. Hard to find the tach drive distributor :(.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/60%20Lark%204%20door/IMG_3996.jpg?t=1195958924
<h5>Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA</h5>

Dick Steinkamp
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
The size of the individual gauge "pods" on the 53 and 54 Commanders lent themselves to the installation of aftermarket instruments. A tach was commonly installed in the clock hole. I agree with Rich's guess that it is a vacuum gauge. These were common aftermarket items also, and in a size that would fit in the pod.

Standard Surplus did sell '54 Commander dashes with a tach in the clock hole. I think they were for marine applications. They were mechanical and probably just another speedometer with a different face. Hard to find the tach drive distributor :(.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/60%20Lark%204%20door/IMG_3996.jpg?t=1195958924
<h5>Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA</h5>