How Does He Know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does He Know?

Ad in Hemmings for a '64 Avanti with round head lights. Owner says it is one of 52 made in '64 that way. How does he know? Is there a way to tell from the build sheet? Are there some other mysterious markings to indicate that it's 1 of 52? Does this make it worth more?

Oh well....just wondering....
    thanks,
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Research has been done on that, but I believe the figure for rounded-headlight 1964's to be slightly higher than what he states.

Craig

Comment

Is the chassis number available? I can't find the ad...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

There were 58 round headlight 1964s built in August 1963. I believe that a few other 1964s were built with round headlights.
        The Serial Number will tell me a lot more.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I left the magazine at a neighbors, will pick it up over the weekend. I understand that production in '63 after the July shutdown was a little mixed up with round and square headlights cars coming down the line at the same time. But, is there any documentation that identifies a factory round headlight '64 from a body shop rebuild?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
            I left the magazine at a neighbors, will pick it up over the weekend. I understand that production in '63 after the July shutdown was a little mixed up with round and square headlights cars coming down the line at the same time. But, is there any documentation that identifies a factory round headlight '64 from a body shop rebuild?
            Yes, by Serial Number before 4892 and by production order after that.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Help....I'm looking at a production order for a round headlight '64....I don't see "round headlight" called out any where...would it be indicated in one of the line item codes?
              Thanks for your comments
              sigpic

Comment

Didn't they call those early 64's W/round headlights "transition cars"?

Comment

Help....I'm looking at a production order for a round headlight '64....I don't see "round headlight" called out any where...would it be indicated in one of the line item codes?
                  Thanks for your comments
                  I'd think that the only time 'round headlights' would be mentioned on a Studebaker Avanti PO, would be on Avantis built after serial # 4892, when most of the '64 Avanti changes were standardized.

Anyone who wanted a round light Avanti after 4892 would have to specifically request it.....and that indeed would be typed onto the PO.

Comment

Thanks for your comments
                    That depends on the Serial Number. Refer to my post #6.

EDIT: What is the Serial Number of the Avanti that you are looking at the production order of?

EDIT II: I am now thinking that what you are referring to is a 1963 Avanti that was titled as a 1964 due to not being sold until the 1964 model year (allowed by Studebaker). Again, the S/N will tell us much.
                    Last edited by studegary; 11-15-2015, 10:01 AM.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
                      Didn't they call those early 64's W/round headlights "transition cars"?
                      No, the transition cars were even earlier (1963 1/2), built in July.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        I'd think that the only time 'round headlights' would be mentioned on a Studebaker Avanti PO, would be on Avantis built after serial # 4892, when most of the '64 Avanti changes were standardized.

Anyone who wanted a round light Avanti after 4892 would have to specifically request it.....and that indeed would be typed onto the PO.
                        I agree. That is what I tried to convey in less words in my post #6.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                        X