Flight-o-matic shift problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flight-o-matic shift problems

I acquired a 62 GT Hawk about 3 months ago and for the price I paid for the car I am very happy with it. One concern I have with the car is that I don't think it is shifting out of 2nd gear most of the time(the tach doesn't work). The car has an aftermarket holly 4barrel carb on it and I don't know what the PO did to the linkage to make it fit. The linkage appears to be of the spring loaded type, but appears to be solid now. I don't know if I am even looking in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx Weymouth

First check that there is a rod going to the trans and connected at the bottom of the bell crank throttle linkage, near where the gas pedal attaches to it, and to a lever at the trans outside the shifter rod going to the shifter. You can fiddle with the carb later, but if that rod isn't there, or not set right in length to move the lever on the trans it won't shift correctly. Check back after checking if it's there and moves with the gas pedal, may take someone in the car and you underneath to watch. If it's there, then any number of things could have been done to bend the bell crank shaft to make the carb work that screwed up the rod movement and adjustment. And-welcome to the forum, we'll try to help but you will need a manual for your car, check with one of the vendors listed at the SDC main page.

Edit Added Bell Crank Diagram from Avanti-very similar
    Attached Files
    Last edited by karterfred88; 11-12-2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Yes times 2 what Fred said, the Throttle Pressure Rod from the bottom of the bellcrank Lever to the Lever on the Trans. is not just a kickdown like some Trans. are, this CONTROLS the pressure to the entire trans, Valve Body, Clutches, Bands and Servos, all of it!
      So it HAS to be properly adjusted, so modifying the Carb. Linkage IS NOT an option that ever should be done.

There are excellent Pictures in the '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and a few poorer ones in the Shop Manual, these are a major MUST have for all Studebaker owners, put those at the TOP of your Studebaker to do list!

There are very inexpensive CD Rom Discs containing all 3: Shop Manual, Body Parts and Chassis Parts Catalogs for your Computer, available here: http://studebakervendors.com
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You must remember that a flight o matic starts in 2 nd and shifts into 3rd. Selecting manual low it will start in 1st then you can shift up to D it shouldshift to 2nd then 3rd. Not having the throttle pressure rod adjusted or connected will cause any number of problems. Can you get ahold of previous owner still?, You need to ask him if this was converted from a 2bbl. If you could take and post pictures of linkage that could help in diagnosis. Lou Cote

Comment

The linkage from the bell crank to the transmission is there and is connected. I am not able to contact the previous owner as he is deceased and I don't think he is going to take any calls. His family was selling his collection and was nice enough to send me his collection of original manuals(all 3 that were mentioned and then some). The linkage should be moving, I'll my 84 year old father get in and move the throttle while I watch from underneath. Converted from a 2 barrel, that is a good possibility. Some of the things I am seeing on this car that have been done look a little mickey mouse (not bad, but not right either). I am leaning toward an adjustment problem with this puppy. If the car was converted from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel this might have caused some linkage issues. I will post some pics so everybody can take a look. Thank you

Comment

Hi Weymouth-
            when you do start altering the length of the linkage or kickdown link, you may find that you do solve your gear change problem but gain another. If the rod is over adjusted, the control valve in the Trans makes a loud buzzing sound. It may do it all the time or only when you move it in reverse gear. It's an unmistakeable sound and quite loud. You will need to reduce the length of the rods a little if this occurs.
            Steve

Comment

Thanks everybody. Everything matches up with the pictures and the info on page 13 figure 20. And a special thanks to Steve, that tip is a little bit of wisdom that is not found in books. Weymouth

Comment

Working...
              X