Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions please, $ value of these brake backing plates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please, $ value of these brake backing plates.

What do You feel is a fair price"both parties involved" for good used 11" 63,64 Lark V8 front backing plates? and same question for 63,64 Champ truck 11" backing plates?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Probably not a whole lot on the Lark V8 fronts Joe,.....maybe $35 for the pair.

Comment

Don't have a clue where the top value is.
      But here's a pretty good starting point for where the bottom should start..

Scrap Register provides daily prices of scrap metals, scrap products, traded Scrap in United States of America
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe some folks consider Studebaker parts like these backing plates 'scrap', but just a couple years ago a friend of mine paid about $100 for a pair of NOS V8 backing plates he needed to convert his '53 HT over to the much better '54-'66 V8 drum brake.....He'd have been very happy with Joe's good used ones for half the money!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Maybe some folks consider Studebaker parts like these backing plates 'scrap', but just a couple years ago a friend of mine paid about $100 for a pair of NOS V8 backing plates he needed to convert his '53 HT over to the much better '54-'66 V8 drum brake.....He'd have been very happy with Joe's good used ones for half the money!
          That $100 would have gone much further and better towards disc brakes.
          sals54

Comment

One man's scrap is another man's treasure. Our entire economy works on the basis of perceived value. I have several sets of 11" backing plates, and the associated parts. They aren't scrap, but neither are they the basis for my retirement plan.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The 8E5, & 7 Front Backing plates cannot be compared to the car type which are very plentiful.

This Brake System is the one EVERY C & T Cab Truck SHOULD have. It uses the 11 Inch Car Front Shoes and Bendix style Star Wheel Adjusted Brakes that actually STOP the Truck in very short order!
              It would be helpful to have the Brake Hardware with them, the Drums are all the same as earlier type and should not be hard to find.

Yes these do have a value to those that understand the systems used on these Trucks and own a '49 to '62 truck with eccentric adjusted Brakes.
              There are not many of these available, only being used for '63 Year Model and 5 Months of 1964 Production.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                That $100 would have gone much further and better towards disc brakes.
                That really depends on how the vehicle will be used,.....but I must say that as far as drum brake systems go, Studebaker's '54-'66 drum brakes were/are probably the 'best in the business'!!)

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  One man's scrap is another man's treasure. Our entire economy works on the basis of perceived value. I have several sets of 11" backing plates, and the associated parts. They aren't scrap, but neither are they the basis for my retirement plan.
                  I don't understand Deepnhock's 'scrapping' suggestion either.....Perhaps he was having a bad day?

Comment

I have scrapped a lot of backing plates over the years as they were plentiful. Now that many like myself have scrapped them, those that need them find they are not always easy to come by and thus the supply and demand factor drives up the value
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                      I have scrapped a lot of backing plates over the years as they were plentiful. Now that many like myself have scrapped them, those that need them find they are not always easy to come by and thus the supply and demand factor drives up the value
                      Very good point.......well said!

Comment

I don't understand Deepnhock's 'scrapping' suggestion either.....Perhaps he was having a bad day?
                        I said nothing about scrapping them.
                        I just pointed out what scrap metal prices are. (or how to ascertain how to find out what scrap metal prices are)
                        That would be the bottom line on value of any metal.
                        These are obviously worth more. How much?
                        I have no idea, and said so in my reply.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          I said nothing about scrapping them.
                          I just pointed out what scrap metal prices are. (or how to ascertain how to find out what scrap metal prices are)
                          That would be the bottom line on value of any metal.
                          These are obviously worth more. How much?
                          I have no idea, and said so in my reply.

So,.................you pointed out what the current scrap metal prices are,....but now you're telling us you weren't thinking of scrapping them............................OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So,.................you pointed out what the current scrap metal prices are,....but now you're telling us you weren't thinking of scrapping them............................OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Ed, You are so good at reading and re-reading your own post's, so why not read my first reply.
                            It just said that the parts have a bottom value (scap metal price) and that I have no clue as to the top value.

(copy)

http://www.scrapregister.com/scrap-p...ted-states/260

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Ed, You are so good at reading and re-reading your own post's, so why not read my first reply.
                              It just said that the parts have a bottom value (scap metal price) and that I have no clue as to the top value.

(copy)

http://www.scrapregister.com/scrap-p...ted-states/260
                              Back-tracking again?....That's OK Deep,....no harm, no foul!!

Comment

Working...
                              X