54 Studebaker Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Studebaker Champion

Is there anybody in here that would be able to send me some sort of a diagram how the outside door handle operates the latch mechanism. I'm pretty sure the outside button just pushes on a tab on the latch but I cannot see anything broken. The inside door handle operates properly but with the rain coming I may not want to leave the window open. Any help you guys give me would be greatly appreciated. If somebody has some sort of a diagram maybe you could email it to me at john.greedy@yahoo.com Thank you, John.
    sigpicDoug Larson

I'm not sure about the 54, but on my 50 Champion, if the inside handle isn't returned far enough forward I can't use the outside key lock.

Comment

I don't have a diagram, but you have it just right. The outside door handle button, simply pushes a lever and pops the door open. If yours is not working like this, one screw, found just on the inside of the door, will release the door handle and you can see if the button is hitting the lever. IF the lever is not there, its broken off. Or it could be the button is broken. See if its reaching the lever. But either way, its not a difficult fix. If its the button, just change the door handle. One screw, done. If its the lever thats broken, its still not that tough to change it out for a new one.
      sals54

Comment

Has the latch been changed? I had a parts car, I believe someone put a sedan latch on. The tab was too short and it worked this way, inside,yes, outside no.???

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          I'm not sure about the 54, but on my 50 Champion, if the inside handle isn't returned far enough forward I can't use the outside key lock.

I have the same problem in the past on a few Studebaker's, sounds like you need to push the inside handle forward and then the outside handle should work, not much to these systems but might need some cleaning but the door panel will need to be removed to see the system. Your Dad would not have had this problem, he was a super guy I always like talking to him and seeing his car and truck.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

John, a quick photo of the parts manual is attached. The outside door handle 'plunger' and the piece attached to the lock mechanism that it contacts are both circled in red. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151111_103806_748.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1701471
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thank you guys for the help, pushed the inside handle forward and all is fine now. Must have slipped back. Thanks again, John.
              sigpicDoug Larson

Comment

That sometime means that the "Remote" has a broken return spring.
                That is the unit that the inside door handle attaches to.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X