No announcement yet.

Height & weight of an M16-28, anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height & weight of an M16-28, anyone ?

Question for any/all of my fellow Studebaker truck appreciators: would someone out there know, or at least be able to take an educated guess as to, the height and weight of an M16-28 truck, please? A potential transporter for said truck has asked me for this info. Probably base the weight on a cab-and-chassis combo; the actual truck has a wooden stakebed on it (as opposed to a steel-framed bed -- at least that's what the photos show). The only reference info I have at home is an original M-series parts catalog which doesn't really cover that data. Thanks.

Mike Auldridge in MD
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

I have a ballpark weight for you for now. I have a '53 2R17A which has the longer 195" wheelbase, and extra plate steel on the frame. I've only got a wooden flat bed with a 1 by 6 wooden headache rack and a roughly 4" wide 3/16" plate steel frame surrounding the wood bed. It's supposed to be just under 6000#. Based on what I have, I'd guess yours is likely around 5000#-ish.

Depending on who's transporting your truck and how, fwiw, mine was rear towed (the front tires are scary looking) 15 miles with a fairly standard appearing newer Dodge tow truck. I was expecting they would show up with a flatbed as I'd told them how long and heavy it was. No problems though with this tow. Your Tow May Vary.

We'll see how far off my uneducated guess is....

Comment

Thanks, Leo H.
      Mike Auldridge
      Gaithersburg, MD
      301-651-4346
      1948 M16

Comment

The M16 was supposed to measure 80.5" from ground to top of cab, but could be more depending on tire size. The M15-20 cab/chassis is listed at around 3500 lbs, but I have always found Stude factory weights to be a bit light. I'd say around 4500 lbs for an M16-28 with a flatbed. You might try posting your question on Stude Truck Talk. Roger List has one and posts there frequently. He drove it from Denver to St Louis for the intl meet.
        Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-10-2015, 12:18 PM.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

For the record and to close the loop on this one: the road weight of a M16-52 with the factory flat bed is listed in the M Series truck data book as 4925 lbs.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks, Skip, you're the man to count on !!
            Mike Auldridge
            Gaithersburg, MD
            301-651-4346
            1948 M16

Comment

Working...
            X