Looking for a Studebaker Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Studebaker Truck

I'm looking for V8 (Studebaker powered) truck but not a Champ, really anything prior. I'm ok with a C-cab converted to Studebaker V8 or a 55 and up that was factory V8. I'm hoping to find a daily driver, not a show truck and I'd like to be able to get it in and go without any upfront work, I already have a '58 Hawk project and want a Stude I can drive around now.

If anyone has anything for sale or knows of anything I'd appreciate any leads. I'm in central North Carolina and would drive up to a day for the right truck, shipping isn't out of the question either for exactly the right thing.

Thanks everyone.

Have you sat in or driven a C cab? Depending on your stature, you may want to do that before shelling out your money.

Comment

Guido raises a good point. At 6'1", and 200lbs, a T-cab is a much better fit for me.

Comment

I owned both up to a month ago and there is more room in a C cab than a T cab by a long shot
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
          Have you sat in or driven a C cab? Depending on your stature, you may want to do that before shelling out your money.
          Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          I owned both up to a month ago and there is more room in a C cab than a T cab by a long shot
          Okay... here we go again. Have a little mercy on an old man with ADHD here. C-cab stands for which models? And weren't the cabs different from '55 on? If T-cab stands for a Champ, then I can tell you from personal experience, they're tight. Without due care, I bang my head on the roof with the slightest of bumps, no knee room, and are constantly hitting the door and passenger with my elbows. What I have been told is that the larger trucks and Pickups from '55 to '64 had considerably more room.

Here's a '57 Purple People Eater for you in the Seattle area:

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You are very correct studeclunker , the T cabs are tight , there is more room in the 49 to 59 models
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=3]Okay... here we go again. Have a little mercy on an old man with ADHD here. C-cab stands for which models? And weren't the cabs different from '55 on? If T-cab stands for a Champ, then I can tell you from personal experience, they're tight. Without due care, I bang my head on the roof with the slightest of bumps, no knee room, and are constantly hitting the door and passenger with my elbows. What I have been told is that the larger trucks and Pickups from '55 to '64 had considerably more room.
              AFIK, the '49-64 C-cabs from 1/2t to 2-1/2t, are all the same inside. There's no more room in the '55-64 that I've ever been able to find. And yes, there's not enough leg room or head room for those over six feet. I'm 6'2" and have driven C-cabs for fifty-five years now and always feel cramped. Best thing I ever did was add cruise control for highway driving. Saves the right ankle from cramping.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

What condition are your looking for? A complete restoration or a nice one (or something in between)?? The gas station just down the road from my office has a mid 50s PU for sale $2500 but it's a complete restoration candidate. Truck is located in Flemington ,New Jersey.

-George-

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  AFIK, the '49-64 C-cabs from 1/2t to 2-1/2t, are all the same inside.
                  What Jack said. With the exception of the windshield and rear glass, all 49-64 C-cab cabs are identical.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    What Jack said. With the exception of the windshield and rear glass, all 49-64 C-cab cabs are identical.
                    The dashboards changed as well(as did the instrument cluster).

Comment

No criticism intended here, but it's kinda amusing that silverhawk1958 started this thread seeking a truck. Instead, the thread becomes a discussion about dimension.

Seems that I'm not the only one with Attention Deficit Disorder.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        No criticism intended here, but it's kinda amusing that silverhawk1958 started this thread seeking a truck. Instead, the thread becomes a discussion about dimension.

Seems that I'm not the only one with Attention Deficit Disorder.
                        I'm looking for V8 (Studebaker powered) truck but not a Champ, really anything prior. I'm ok with a C-cab converted to Studebaker V8 or a 55 and up that was factory V8. I'm hoping to find a daily driver, not a show truck and I'd like to be able to get it in and go without any upfront work, I already have a '58 Hawk project and want a Stude I can drive around now.
                        It's just that we who have been in the old car hobby for fifty years or so have seen way too may guys buy hot rods/classics/collectors without ever taking same for a long drive. As a group, buyers have gotten older, larger and less flexible. It is a positive to point out there isn't much room in a C-cab for a big guy. Now, if the OP had said, "I've driven C-cabs and love it and gotta have it." then different advice.

True story - a long time friend said, "I've always liked your Stude pickup and wanted one like it. I've found a nice one and am thinking about having it shipped here." He expected me to be cheering him on because the truck had exactly the look he wanted, but I said, "Old trucks are an acquired taste. Lets go there and drive it first." The 4-speed crash box, he absolutely couldn't shift. On the highway, the very low rear axle had the little Champion screaming. The heavy duty rear springs made it ride like a pogo stick. My friend couldn't get away fast enough, but he had been ready to send cash and might actually have bought it without driving it.

The other part of the deal is a large percentage of the questions on the Truck Forum and even here are, "I've bought this old, slow, noisy truck. How can I make it faster, quieter and more like a new one? What 21st century frame and running gear will the Stude cab bolt directly on?"

Bottom line - coming here for advice will get maybe more than asked for, but might save an expensive mistake. Wouldn't take much of a search to find a truck for sale where the builder got in over his head.

jack vines
                        Last edited by PackardV8; 11-09-2015, 09:22 PM.
                        PackardV8

Comment

Here is a couple:

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I am thinking the OP knows something about Stude trucks; he is looking for a driver, and knows he wants it to have a V8. That tells me he is probably pretty savvy. If he were looking for a 6 cylinder driver, I'd be a little more concerned.

Comment

I do have some knowledge of Studebaker trucks. Learned to work on them helping my dad get his first Studebaker C-Cab on the road. My first car was a 1955 four dour with the 6-cylinder (another reason I'd like the V-8). I rode in and drove (and potentially broke) my dad's C-cab and later took trips in his Champ. I'm not looking to take cross country trips here, I'm looking for a truck to drive around town, to Lowe's to get lumber, and maybe feed my old machine habit by helping me pick up some craigslist finds.

We just moved and I've got my hawk back at my house so work can continue on it but I like something I can drive around now. I've got a few leads from this thread so far so thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments and if you have or know of a truck that might fit the bill let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X