Instrument light switch needed for '63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument light switch needed for '63 Hawk

I need inst. light switch for my 63 GT Hawk #1558718 anyone have one I could purchase or know where I could obtain one ? 64 I believe is the same(white plastic) I will also take a 62(black plastic) if necessary. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by kmul221; 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM.

Studebaker International.

Comment

Chuck Collins, StudebakerParts.com, 602 995 5311, Phoenix AZ
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

No luck at either of these sources any other suggestions ? Instrument light switch 63-64 GT Hawk

Comment

If it has failed, pull it apart and clean the contacts. If the white knob has fallen apart, you can use one from another similar sized switch, not sure which as I don't have anything in front of my right now (maybe Climatizer).

Chris.

Comment

If you can't find one, let me know. I think I *might* have a couple in one of my misc boxes, probably has a black toggle though. I have successfully painted black ones with white epoxy paint.

Comment

Kevin , give Depont a call
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

No offence intended toward you, but I usually get a good laugh at people wanting to fix their Instrument Lt. Switch or Instr. dimmer on Lark Types.

Studebaker instrument lighting is SO dim due to the indirect lighting "Windows" especially the type used on all Hawks with eggshell Blue windows to reduce glare (except '64 with Clear for Red Bulbs) WHY would you EVER think about dimming them?

If you did not want to spend the money or could not find a replacement there are options:

Take the jumper wire off of the Instr. Light Switch and the Headlight switch, connect the output from the Instr. Lts. Sw. to the Instr. Lts. directly to the Term on the Headlight switch that had the jumper to the Instr. Lt. Sw. PRESTO! Always on with Parking or Head lights, always Bright Instruments!

Or for '63-'64's buy the Black Knob Instr. Lt. Switch and paint the Knob, some smaller vendors & swappers will have some, New or Used.

Buy a NOS 1554978 '62 Hawk Defroster Switch, if for a '63-'64 Paint the Knob.

Buy a New Repro Headlight Switch (Black or White) to use for Instru. Lts. you will have Bright on both High and Low.

You will never have a need for any stink'in Instr. Lt. Dimming.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
                  I need inst. light switch for my 63 GT Hawk #1558718 anyone have one I could purchase or know where I could obtain one ? 64 I believe is the same(white plastic) I will also take a 62(black plastic) if necessary. Thanks in advance
                  If I remember correctly, the white chrome tips screw off the shaft of what is otherwise a pretty normal 3 way toggle switch with a round mounting barrel and a chrome bezel. I bet something here will work with little adaptation. I'm sure someone has figured out which one by now since they have been mostly NLA for a long time. Might have to change over the rest of them if one can't be made to match, but they are usually pretty cheap.

Comment

The reason you would never want to use one of the "Universal" Toggles for Instrument Lights, Defrost Fan or Heater Fan is very simple, they usually are just Hi-Low-Off or Off-On but no Resister like a Car Type Switch to reduce the Speed or Power/Brightness, so you might as well bi-pass that switch as I said, use FULL Power and forget it.

The other reason is they look terrible, not as nice as Factory.

Studebaker switches ARE still available, so why not use them while they are.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looked through some of my "stuff". I have a NOS instrument dimmer for a '58 Pres IIRC, has a black knob and I think the resistor is a different value. I also have a '63-'64 Hawk dimmer switch, the white knob is almost gone and it's apart but all parts including the base with the resistor are there in a Ziplok. If you don't have any switch at all and you don't mind performing a marriage and some painting, that would work fine for you. I've jumped through a LOT more hoops creating impossible-to-find items from parts and pieces.....

Comment

Obtained a good used one from Dennis Dupont along with a NOS heater switch.Thanks for all of your input
                        the forum came through again !

Comment

Working...
                        X