Dash display lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Dash display lights

The dash display lights on my 51Champion will not light. All other running lights are working. Could you give me some ideas, or send me to a link with a good wiring diagram? How do I identify the problem?

It's possible that they are lit. The bulbs have a thick purple filter over them to let out only the violet end of the light spectrum.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The lights may be fine, but the phosphorus on the numerals, etc., is probably long gone. Others have repainted them with glow-in-the-dark paint.

Comment

You probably already know, but I'll repeat it here, the headlight switch needs to be rolled all the way to the left for the dash lights, and all the way to the right for the dome light.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 1950 Champion dash lights also looked like they weren't working. The two previous owner kept it locked away in a garage for 20 years, with only a few times out on the road. After I owned it for a couple months and put some miles on it, the lights were getting a little bit better. Then one day I left it parked in the bright sun for the afternoon, and there was a big improvement in the illumination. It still isn't s bright as I'd like it, but at least I can read the instruments now.

Comment

Whooda thunk they needed sunlight!

Comment

Working...
            X