39 commander parts car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 commander parts car

This was a marginally restorable car when I got it. Some rust in the edges of the floor, rockers and bottom edges of body parts. It is complete in terms of drive train and motor. The air cleaner, carb and all linkages and wires appear to be present. It is stuck but I am putting oil various places in the hope of freeing it. The transmission is the three on tree and the shifter works along with the clutch. All leaf springs still sport the factory wrapping material.

The lovely art deco dash and interior is all present and most of the seat stuffing. There is a very nice looking temperature and humidity gauge in the glove box door too. Its sitting up on its wheels and has all the brakes and such present. I have removed the front window actuators and door latch mechanisms. The windshield wipers are removed also but I can include them loose. It has bumpers, grills and headlights too, some of which are removed. I have some excellent rust free western front fenders too which I can include. Also there are rechromed or NOS tail light bezels and an original wiring harness in the box.

I'd like to get $850 for it. I will deliver it within 500 miles for my costs. The big dodge will burn diesel at about 15 mpg towing this jewel.

I can send pictures.

Tom Walgamuth
    765 490 0275
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Deal pending. The plan is to restore it and the fellow has the skills, space and equipment to get the job done.

Comment

OK, I got the deposit today. Most of my old Studebaker stuff is going to central Michigan. I still have the pickup truck 3 speed od tranny, the coupe express three speed side by side with floor shifter, and two flywheels, clutch assemblies and bell housings to match the three speed to a stude v8.

I still need the nose trim for the coupe express, the piece going from the bottom of the hood to the bottom of the beak.

I'm heading out to the garage now to start loading up stuff.

Comment

Actually one of the flywheel and clutch assembles is for the early six and one for the v8. I also have to rotary shocks from the rear of the CE which look to be good cores for rebuilding.

Comment

In digging around in the commander the last two days getting it ready for transport I believe it is a 23,000 mile car.

Cool!

Comment

Sounds like someone got a sweet deal!
            I have the remains of a '39 President parts car here at the Texas Studebaker Ranch.
            Last edited by TX Rebel; 11-14-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I might have been too generous, OTOH I got most of my money back on the stuff and room to get another car into the garage now!

Comment

Yep, inside space is valuable & the young buyer might just might live long enough to sell most of that stuff to recover his investment.

Comment

I delivered the car today. STarted out before daylight and just got back at 1030 pm. Would have been here about three hours earlier if I had not gotten lost three or four times. Yikes! First I took 31 instead of 131, then on the way back took 96w instead of 196. OH yeah, also explored the boonies near his farm for an hour or so. Beautiful country.

The poor overloaded truck did yeoman's work with 2000# in the bed and about 5000# in the trailer and car. Got 14.5 mpg going up driving about 67 when condiditons allowed, then got about 15.5 coming back driving about 63 to 77 depending on whether interstate or two lanes.

I had every thing lashed down pretty well but those darned front fenders (3 of them) squirmed around so I had to tighten straps every half hour or so. Even with that when I got there there were two hanging loose.

Yikes! Didn't lose anything that I know of.

Comment

I can attest from experience that sheet metal hauls much better in an enclosed trailer or camper!

Comment

Hi Tom. I will sell the nosepiece I have for your '39 CE. Please contact me via e-mail and I will send you some pictures. It has been re-chromed and is VERY shiny, but is not what I would consider a good job. There are some flaws, and some detail has been buffed out. I am extremely picky, so I will let you decide.

Comment

Email sent to Stewie. Thanks Stewie! I'm probably not as picky as you are at this point.

Comment

Working...
                        X