Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheel studs and lug nuts for a 1962 GT hawk

Hey there ..
    Recently acquired a 1962 Hawk GT and found that all the studs are in rough shape ...
    Must have had aftermarket wheels or something on it at sometime ..
    Need them replaced so the car can pass inspection ..
    Any help would be great appreciated ..
    Thanks

Randy
    Love my Lark

The studs and lug nuts are not that uncommon, Randy, and they were all conventional right-hand thread by 1962. Any local parts store can fix you up, but getting them on there might be a job for a professional unless you have the wherewithal and tools and a press. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe the easiest solution is to run a thread die over them?
      New ones can be had from www.studebakerparts.com in Arizona for two bucks a pop, part number HDW010.
      Stud removal is apparently a bit of a job (not a push fit, do a search), so being a very lazy man, I would be attempting to resurrect the threads of the existing studs with a die first, unless they are absolutely cactus.

Comment

Rear wheel studs are swaged in place and require a special tool to cut the swage points without damaging the drum. Not sure about the fronts, they are probably the same. I would agree with those who recommend running a die over the threads. Get new lug nuts and you're good to go, unless the stud threads are stripped. Usually, the nuts are made of softer metal than the studs, so they will strip before the studs do.

Comment

Yes it would be professionally done for sure as that work is beyond my scope .. The rear drums apparently have been ground down for some odd reason ..
          Glad to hear the studs and lugs are readily available..
          Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
            Yes it would be professionally done for sure as that work is beyond my scope .. The rear drums apparently have been ground down for some odd reason ..
            Glad to hear the studs and lugs are readily available..
            Actually only the "swage" needs to be cut to free the drum from the stud, then the stud presses out of the hub. Make sure the mechanic doing it has the right tools and knows what he is doing or you may wind up with damaged hubs, out of round and wobbly drums. Go for the re-threading first by all means, or you may wind up with more problems than you have. There are many threads on the forum addressing this problem, avoid it like the plague if you don't have to do it.

Comment

Working...
            X