Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curbside Classic: '59 Lark Hardtop - Studebaker's Last Hurrah

Hi

This Curbside Classic article is a pretty fair history overview and perspective of how the Lark came to be:

(first posted 11/3/2015)     What’s the most significant car of 1959? The giant finned Cadillac? It’s pure excess embodied in steel,glass and chrome, the apogee (or nadir) of a trend that […]

Comments, corrections and enlargements are welcomes by this site as long as they're civil.

Steve

Nice article. Did you write it, Steve?

Two comments:

1953 Sedans "the sedan was stuck with the tall and ungainly proportions of the previous generation sedans. They were a poorly-conceived afterthought, and the results were crippling." The article wording seems to indicate that the '53 sedans were just a rehash of the '47 - '52s which of course is not true. Also, the sedan designs were actually pretty much done by the time the C/K design was approved. The sedans themselves were not an 'afterthought', but applying the C/K styling cues to the sedans could be considered an afterthought. The sedan styling is actually not that bad, and holds up well IMHO when compared to other companies' 1953 sedans; however, when compared to the C/K cars the sedans are of course not as attractive as the C/Ks.

1959 Hawks "After relentless pressure from his sales executives, the Hawk was given a stay of execution, so that Studebaker dealers would still be able to cater to those looking for something more upscale." Not sure that the sales execs pressured Churchill as much as the dealers did - to them the Lark was an unknown quantity, and they wanted other sales options besides the Lark and the 10-year old basic truck design (and maybe a Mercedes-Benz if they took those on).
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Looks to me like an honest & objective article. Sure there may be a few very minor mistakes such as the 59 Lark being a copy of the 60 Corvair or the Valiant too for that matter. Regardless that car was an overwhelming success for Studebaker & allowed the car division to exist a few more years.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It is generally a good article. Comments are welcomed. Based on one quick read - I will post some comments here. If someone wants to put them on that site, go ahead.

The '59 Lark is a Hardtop, not a "Hardtop Coupe".
        I have owned the "polar opposites", a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special and a 1959 Lark VIII Hardtop.
        He calls the Lark the last hit. I believe that the Avanti was a hit, just not a sales/production success and too late.
        I thought that the Champion used a 170 cid six and not a "164 cid". (As usual, all of my comments are from my head and I am not that familiar with prewar cars.)
        I agree with the part about 1953 coupes vs. sedans.
        There are many cases where the document has not been properly proofread. Ex's:
        "...that had Loewy found."
        "Bit it was the only convertible..."
        "...just big one that ..."
        "...taken on an our first..."
        I believe that the Hawk was retained due to dealer pressure.
        I never thought that a Lark Hardtop rear window was the same as that on a coupe.
        He states: "...hadn't had a 100k+ year in way too long." 1947-1953 and 1955 were 100k+ years.

That is enough for one quick read.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree. The article seemed balanced and objective. The photographs stayed relevant to the copy and were very illustrative. As much as many of us would wish the Studebaker story were different, it is what it is. This was a good read. Thanks, Steve for sharing it.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

A very good article, very comprehensive and complete with lots of references to the details of that "Subject Car" a good looking Driver condition '59 Lark VIII Regal Hardtop. I noticed some of the grammatical errors that Gary did but for an article of that very long length, very few actually.
            I care more about the factual errors and there were amazingly few of those, I noted in reference to the '64 to '66 Models, the absence of the Commander, that he forgot.

All in all, a way better article than the average non-Studebaker aficionado usually writes.

The Title was probably the worst part: "Studebaker's Last Hurrah" ? I don't think so, the Avanti was.

I think I would have said: "Studebaker's last Success".
            And of course, the Avanti certainly was NOT, from a Profitable or Marketing/Sales standpoint.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I thought that the Champion used a 170 cid six and not a "164 cid".
              1939 (the car pictured in the article) & 1940 Champions were 164.3 cubic inches.

Overall, it was a good read by someone who has done their research.

Craig

Comment

Hi

I thought the assembled would enjoy reading a well-researched, comprehensive and objective feature on Studebaker's late history and its last sales success. No, I can't take credit as author though would have gladly written such a well-done article.

Your comments on that site would be welcomed. Its very easy, simply your email and a screen handle which could be the same one used here. One only receives emails from the site if a box is checked for follow-up notices, no spam or bothersome garbage.

Steve

Comment

Hi

I thought the assembled would enjoy reading a well-researched, comprehensive and objective feature on Studebaker's late history and its last sales success. No, I can't take credit as author though would have gladly written such a well-done article.

Your comments on that site would be welcomed. Its very easy, simply your email and a screen handle which could be the same one used here. One only receives emails from the site if a box is checked for follow-up notices, no spam or bothersome garbage.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X