Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk Production Order

All,
    I just received the PO for the GT Hawk I just bought. Is there any code to indicate WCFB carb?
    Attached Files
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Most likely that Hawk was not originally built with a 4 bbl. There would be an option listed if it was. It may have been dealer installed, or installed by an enthusiast later in its life.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks,
      I am trying to determine what was originally installed. The Hawk came with a NOS short block (full flow 289) plus the original block, several different pairs of heads and several 2bbl and WCFB manifolds. I also have several 2 bbl carbs and a refurbished WCFB. In any case, it is quite a puzzle to piece back together. To date, I have been working on Avantis so the Hawk is a new endeavor for me.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The WCFB is an excellent Carb. that should get better mileage than a AFB or AFB Edelbrock clone, IF the throttle plate shafts are tight, as in not too badly worn.

Nicely ordered Hawk, it HAD the Automatic Windshield Washer, a Full Dash and the Solid Red Vinyl Upholstery, meaning the inserts were not White.

It did not have a Radio when it left the factory.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On my '63 Daytona, I had a line on the P.O. that said "Matching Inserts", which implied to me that the white inserts were what you got if "matching inserts" weren't specified.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Padded sun visors are always nice. I have them on my '64 GT.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Do you know the history of locations for that Hawk? I see that it was built for Studebaker stock, so the Production Order does hot give a clue as to where it was originally sold.
              The reason that I asked is that in 1963 we resided in an apartment with an adjoining wall to an older (than we were then - probably 60s) couple that had purchased a 1962 Hawk new (in NY). They, including the Hawk, retired to Florida shortly thereafter. Their Hawk was just like yours. Of course, there was probably more than one made like that.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Do you know the history of locations for that Hawk? I see that it was built for Studebaker stock, so the Production Order does hot give a clue as to where it was originally sold.
                The reason that I asked is that in 1963 we resided in an apartment with an adjoining wall to an older (than we were then - probably 60s) couple that had purchased a 1962 Hawk new (in NY). They, including the Hawk, retired to Florida shortly thereafter. Their Hawk was just like yours. Of course, there was probably more than one made like that.
                Unless New York state required positive crankcase ventilation in 1962, I suspect it was destined for California.

Craig

Comment

I have no idea about previous owners. I do know that it was in Florida for about 30 years.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    On my '63 Daytona, I had a line on the P.O. that said "Matching Inserts", which implied to me that the white inserts were what you got if "matching inserts" weren't specified.
                    Exactly, on the higher Trim Levels of '63's, you HAD to specify "Matching Inserts" or you got the Standard White Inserts.

And if you did not Choose the optional "All Vinyl" you got the Standard Cloth Inserts and Vinyl surrounds with no other options except Color.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This '62 GT's doesn't say "matching inserts", which makes me think it was built with white inserts.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                      X