1950 Champion body color--- Tulip cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion body color--- Tulip cream

Can anyone tell me how I can find the manufacturer of the original Studebaker paint for a Champion that is supposed to be painted Tulip Cream. I also need the formula or paint code. It is a very pale yellow. Thanks, Jim

The correct full name is Tulip Cream number 2.

Tulip cream without the number 2 was an older color.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 50 color chips didn't show the color, but my 49 Chips do. If I can find my chips I'll see if they are any help to you.

Comment

I have an original Studebaker Color flier for 1950 and it shows Tulip Cream 2. Some of the Dupont sheets I have show it for 1950 others do not! The Dupont code is W-SS Duco is 246-34630 and Dulux is 93-34630

A good paint shop should be able to convert these codes to modern ones.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I believe that Tulip Cream was only available in 1950 on Vernon built cars. The 1949 color chart does have Tulip Cream listed, but the 1950 does not. I found this information on this page on Studebaker Yellow colors:http://paintref.com/paintref/make/ye...udebaker.shtml

That color had a long run starting in 1939 to 1949. For many years there was a 1949 Champion with that color sitting in the front yard tucked away in a neighborhood. Owner never wanted to sell it. You probably know the rest of the story. It just disappeared one day after the owner joined the great majority.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

My 50 Champion convertible is Tulip Cream with the tan interior and top. IF, I ever get the old girl finished, she should be a head turner. Sometimes I think it might be wiser to sell her as a project. I'm beginning to see that I have more projects then available time to work on them. Since the wife retired, there's "honeydo's" and it seems we are spending more time traveling.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Asked my paint shop to get the Dupont color code as mentioned above and he says it doesn't exist and is impossible. I don't want to give up so easily. Does anyone have any ideas? Jim

Comment

My 1964 convertible was originally white. Someone painted it Bordeaux Red before I got it. I am ready to paint it, but I want to paint it tulip cream. I have seen some very close colors on newer cars. Does anybody know the closest color. It seems the Shrock Brothers used a color from mid-eighties Ford for the President convertible they built.

Comment

my next best choice will be the Chevrolet Camaro color for 1967, looks very much the same. I don't trust my paint shop suddenly, as he is not the purist that I wish to be. Help??

Comment

Do you mean old ivory or sahara sand? Tulip cream is a 1949 color.

Comment

I know of a '50 champ convertible that was painted in Tulip Cream #2 in about 1998-1999. They used a base/clear coat paint but I don't know the brand, although a good chance it was DuPont since I know where he usually got his paint supplies and they sold DuPont. The owner/restorer later sold it about 10yrs ago and it went to Texas I think and that owner may have sold it again so I don't know where it is now. Yes it is a pale yellow color. The car was at Madison in 2000.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Tulip Cream was carried over into 1950, but you need to get the color info from the 49 chart, along with several other colors.
                        Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                        Do you mean old ivory or sahara sand? Tulip cream is a 1949 color.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclc...baker-pg01.jpg
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

DuPont paints are now part of Axalta Coating Systems and are now called Cromax, not DuPont.
                          If your paint jobber is using Cromax, or what used to be DuPont, he can get the code from them, or have a clean unfaded spot (perhaps underside of trunk lid or behind a piece of molding) scanned to produce as close a modern formula as possible.

http://www.cromax.com/eu/en_GB.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1701377
                          Last edited by rockne10; 11-04-2015, 04:08 PM.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you need proof that Tulip Cream was offered in 1950 for any reason I could send you a copy of the Studebaker Color Brochure I have which includes it as a valid color.
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by James Caspi View Post
                              Can anyone tell me how I can find the manufacturer of the original Studebaker paint for a Champion that is supposed to be painted Tulip Cream. I also need the formula or paint code. It is a very pale yellow. Thanks, Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X