PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

jclary
11-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I thought this subject deserved its own thread. Since this is a "World-Wide" forum, with winter having very different meanings to many of us...I thought I'd offer up this subject to see how different folks experience "winter" and what is involved in "WINTERIZING" your cars. For example, here in upstate South Carolina, we have winter. We have freezing temperatures, but not to the harsh extent many do.

For me, winterizing my vehicles involves checking to ensure sufficient anti-freeze to at least ten below. Then, close fresh air vents, and lubricate the heater water valve, and control cable, so when you want to drive on a cold day, the heater will work. Oh...and make sure to top off the air in your tires, because tires aired up on a 90 degree day will be under-inflated on a 40 degree day. That's about it here.

As a point of interest, according to local meteorological reports...Last year, on November 1, 2014, upstate S.C. received the first measurable snowfall in the lower 48 states. Remarkable.:ohmy: :cheers: :)

thunderations
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
We turn off the A/C and roll the windows down for a few months.

StudeRich
11-02-2015, 04:22 PM
I recommend also draining the Engine Oil with the engine fully warmed up and changing the Oil and filter BEFORE garaging the Car for the Winter. That way the acid in the Oil will be minimized so it does not eat the soft Babbitt lining on the Bearings.

jclary
11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I recommend also draining the Engine Oil with the engine fully warmed up and changing the Oil and filter BEFORE garaging the Car for the Winter. That way the acid in the Oil will be minimized so it does not eat the soft Babbitt lining on the Bearings.

Great point Rich, but that's the thing...Like post#2, lots of folks don't garage the car for winter. For me, on clear, cool winter days, I love to drive my Studes...it is very pleasant without the fear of dreaded vapor lock. I especially like to tool around in mine with tasteful holiday decorations during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Colgate Studebaker
11-02-2015, 08:40 PM
When we lived in Wisconsin, it was imperative to drain the summer air from the tires and replace it with the proper winter air. Now that we are in Florida, it is possible to use year round air so that the cars can be driven "year round". Bill

Lou Van Anne
11-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Winterizing?...here in the San Joaquin Valley we just clean off the fog lights.

rockne10
11-03-2015, 02:28 AM
In occasionally bitter cold central Pennsylvania I park it in an unheated garage and connect a trickle charger to the battery. In the spring I start it, run it a few dozen or hundred miles, then change the oil and run it a thousand or so more miles before the next winter; all still surviving after a quarter century.

garyash
11-03-2015, 08:27 AM
If it gets like last winter, the cars will go in the garage for a long sleep in about 4-6 weeks and stay there until the snow melts - and the rain washes the road salt away - in the spring, maybe late March or early April. Trickle chargers on the batteries to help them wake up again. Oh, and mouse poison to keep the little buggers out of the upholstery. It's like hibernation for Studebakers.

2R2
11-03-2015, 12:56 PM
I am taking tomorrow off work to put my cars away for the winter - one of the many evils of living here in northern Illinois! For those of you like me who have to put the cars away for a long winter, are you a)filling the gas tank, or b) draining it? When I first got into collector cars 25 years ago, I drained the gas tank. Then, I started to fill it to prevent condensation. Now, I really don't know.

Thoughts?

TWChamp
11-03-2015, 01:33 PM
I always fill my tanks with the good gas (no ethanol) and 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons.

BILT4ME
11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I typically fill the tank to prevent condensation and mix in a container of Sta-Bil and drive it a few miles in order to get it circulated through the system.
I TRY to find non-ethanol gas to use prior to parking it and run a tank or two of that in order to eliminate the alcohol.
Also change the oil to get rid of the acidic oil as stated above.
I usually disconnect the battery or remove it and keep it warm on a non-concrete surface and do the moth balls and dryer sheets inside and under the hood as well as under the car.