PDA

View Full Version : Fairly rare Studebaker tool on Ebay J-8619-2

unclemiltie
11-01-2015, 05:44 PM
I already have one or I would grab this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-car-truck-pinion-tool-Kent-Moore-Used-Item-0127-/272004923361?hash=item3f54c1bfe1:g:xPgAAOSw~OdVdwxG&item=272004923361&vxp=mtr

StudeRich
11-01-2015, 07:19 PM
What is a Pinion Tool used for Milt?

The only Pinion on a Studebaker I can think of other than the Speedometer Pinion is the Differential Pinion, and I don't see how or why that would need to be checked on that thing. :confused:

jclary
11-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Just thought I'd chime in here and let those, who may not know, ebayer "donsoldcarstuff" is the parts business of former Studebaker parts vendor Don Gay. Don passed away a few years ago. Long before there was an ebay, I purchased stuff from Don through Turning Wheels Ads., and at a couple of swap meets. All my dealings with Don were first rate. I never went to Don's place, and have no concept of how extensive his stash of parts were. I do know, they were not limited to Studebaker parts.

It is my understanding that his brother Ralph, is assisting Don's widow in selling the parts through ebay. You will note that all his ads include the statement "or best offer." I have bought a few items from him and he really means "best offer." I'm not sure how knowledgeable Ralph is regarding the individual parts he is selling. Some of his prices seem high for the mundane individual nuts & bolts he's listing. But, you can imagine, all the effort it takes to photograph, list, package, and handle what apparently is a large volume of clips, fasteners, brackets, impellers, seals, and who knows what...I don't blame him for trying. I've seen lots of these type parts heaped up on a truck and hauled off to a dump. I appreciate the fact that he is offering these items to be useful to someone who could use them.

So...if you see an item you'd like to have, be respectful, but use the "contact seller" option, and make Ralph an offer you think is reasonable. You might be pleasantly surprised when he takes you up on your offer. Just as my dealings with Don, my experience with Ralph has been first rate.:!:

stude dude
11-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Don Gay was a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. He also had some interesting cars sitting out in the field at Lowpoint. I remember a couple of Henney bodied Packards plus a variety of 1950's sedans and Larks.

Chris.

StudeRich
11-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Doesn't ANYONE has a clue that this Tool is for?

64V-K7
11-02-2015, 06:11 AM
It sets the pinion depth in relation to the ring gears? See http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-J-8619-1-8619-2-8619-10-8619-12-PINION-SETTING-GAUGE-KIT-/301410890258

unclemiltie
11-02-2015, 07:30 AM
What is a Pinion Tool used for Milt?

The only Pinion on a Studebaker I can think of other than the Speedometer Pinion is the Differential Pinion, and I don't see how or why that would need to be checked on that thing. :confused:

It is used for the pinion gear in the rear axle. Mine is the older version, J-589. I have never personally used it. I loaned it to Earle Haley years ago and he used it on a rear end he was working on for his 51 Champion

unclemiltie
11-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Don Gay was a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. He also had some interesting cars sitting out in the field at Lowpoint. I remember a couple of Henney bodied Packards plus a variety of 1950's sedans and Larks.

Chris.
Most of the cars are gone and I am with you and really miss dealing with Don. His brother Ralph, is also a very nice guy and also likes Studebakers.