61 Lark Front brake drums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 61 Lark Front brake drums.

So I went to remove the front brake drums from my 61 Lark. One side went as planned but the other the drum and hub separated while removing the drum from the car. The reason for removing was to turn the drums and replace bearings. Mechanic that is doing the turning says he cannot do it because the hub is pressed, well not pressed but another word I cannot recall right now, to the drum via the wheel studs. Is he correct? Thought I would ask here. What should I do.

AlsoI need to source a new drum, as the other drum appears to have been turned before and is way past minimum tolerances.

Not sure if they are the same as the drums on a 62 hawk but I have a pair off a hawk without the hubs.

Comment

Was the word used, peened or swaged?
      SI should have a new drum in stock.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Swaged! Thanks. And I could not find one when I looked earlier, ill look again.

Comment

I do not recommend using a New Drum exactly Standard Size, either 10 Inch for a Six or 11 Inch for a V8, on one one side and a Oversize one on the other side, probably between .050 and .070 oversize. The "Limit" after turning is .060
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I do not recommend using a New Drum exactly Standard Size, either 10 Inch for a Six or 11 Inch for a V8, on one one side and a Oversize one on the other side, probably between .050 and .070 oversize. The "Limit" after turning is .060
            Why use two separate sized drums? Should I just buy two new drums?

Comment

The 10 or 11 Inch issue is simply that I do not know if you have a '61 Lark VI (Six) or '61 Lark VIII (V8).

Did I say to use 2 different sizes? I said DO NOT, of course buy 2.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The 10 or 11 Inch issue is simply that I do not know if you have a '61 Lark VI (Six) or '61 Lark VIII (V8).

Did I say to use 2 different sizes? I said DO NOT, of course buy 2.
                That's how I read your post and it seemed quite odd to me.... anyways it is a v8 and has 11 inch drums. Got two on standby in my cart on studebaker international, just waiting on their sales manager to reply to my email to ensure the part I'm ordering is correct.

Comment

Working...
                X