Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

56 Wagon fuel sender needed. What will swap in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Wagon fuel sender needed. What will swap in?

My fuel sender is muck. I've had the gas tank redone. Now I'm ready to install, but I need a fuel sender. Any ideas as to which one will swap out? Also, does anyone have one for sale? Good used or new? Thanks
    sals54

I have a new SW sender I didn't use. It's a 240 for SW or Stude gauges. can you tell me if you need a R or L swing and I will check it.

Comment

I've had good luck with Moeller Marine sending unit 035725-10. Totally adjustable for tank depth and compatible with all 33 to 240 OHM gauges, the industry standard.
      I have made bends in the rods when needed, but take care and don't put undo force on the unit. They don't advise bending their parts, but it sure worked better by doing it. Others have used this same unit in truck tanks and others. I put one in my 63 Daytona and it works better then the replacement unit I paid mega bucks for when I replaced the sending unit in my 66 a couple years ago. Got mine on eBay, but most marine supply stores should carry them.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Hey Sal -

I'm betting that most any Stude (12v) sender will work. You may have to do a little arm manipulation, but knowing the way Studebaker was...
        While there may be a hand full of part numbers, I'd bet they were small somewhat meaningless changes.
        I know that back in the 60's, GM would have two or three part numbers for a given part. This was because different vendors made the "same" part..!?

I'm going on this too in swapping my Conestoga to 12 volts.

Mike

P.s. - thunderation's note (above) looks good too...

Comment

The 56 sender has the fuel outlet line incorporated into the sender itself. Otherwise I could use the one from my spare gas tank.
          sals54

Comment

I know that several of the marine units have been modified and the tubes were added. Be inventive. Remember, the sending unit is NOT 6 Volt or 12 Volt. It simply works on resistance to ground, measured in Ohms. Studebaker used the industry standard gauges, eliminating needing to match the sender and gauge. The gauges ARE 6 Volt or 12 Volt, but not the senders.
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There's one on ebay for a 1956 hawk C & K that has the 5/16" integral fuel line, listed as new? I don't know how to get the link on here so you'll have to search, sorry. $94.99

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
                There's one on ebay for a 1956 hawk C & K that has the 5/16" integral fuel line, listed as new? I don't know how to get the link on here so you'll have to search, sorry. $94.99
                $94.99 ? ? ? ? I barely have that much invested in the whole cars life. I got the car for free, traded the spare parts that came with it for a cash out profit, and now have some of that cash put back into it for the top chop. Dang, now this $95 bucks will kill the budget. JK I'll look into it.

sals54

Comment

A new Moeller 035725-10 is less then $30, including shipping on eBay.
                  When I bought a Stude replacement from a Stude vendor, it was $100. I've been told they are no longer available, so this is an inexpensive alternative for a N/A part.
                  Adding a pick-up line is a matter of drilling a hole and soldering a tube into the flange.
                  If you have a working unit from another tank, add the pick-up line to it.
                  Good luck. Over and out....................................
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks. I've even got the tools to do the soldering. If I can't find something real quick, I'll do that. Thanks again y'all.
                    sals54

Comment

Working...
                    X