PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg RR Train Trip and Visit

Avantidon
11-28-2007, 05:54 AM
I posted this note under the International Meet Topic and have gotten No Response so I am putting it here. I have had several requests to do this but need to know how much interest there is in doing it. I have been in touch with the RR and they will work with us on it if the interest is there so please let me know. THANKS

f there is enough interest from forum members and others, i will attempt to set up a night time visit to the Strasburg RR. I have been in contact with them and have taken some PR shots for the International Meet with 4 decades of Studebakers in front of the engine. I have also discussed the possibility of a Studebaker visit but it will DEFINITELY BE AFTER THOMAS THE TANK FANS GO TO SLEEP. I just need to know the interest level to proceed. Ask you local newsletter editors to check out the article "Memories of the Past - A Parallel History o Two Transportation Companies" posted to their site in this newsgroup and ready for their use.

See you in the future as I write about our past

studegary
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I went to the Strasburg Railroad site and steam train rides a number of years ago in conjunction with an SDC event. I have no desire to return there during the SDC Convention week next year.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I went to the Strasburg Railroad site and steam train rides a number of years ago in conjunction with an SDC event. I have no desire to return there during the SDC Convention week next year.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bondobilly
11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
IIRC across the street is a rail road museum. Last time I was there they had one of the last GG-1's outside.

It might be of some interest of those attending the National to visit, and on a good warm evening a ride on the open bench seat cars would be a treat. I got a cab ride in the locomotive back in the late 80's.

There are also some places that would make great photo ops, and I think that a tour/trip would be a boost for them and the National.

Do they still run out the ex-PRR mainline and do a run-around?

bondobilly
11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
IIRC across the street is a rail road museum. Last time I was there they had one of the last GG-1's outside.

It might be of some interest of those attending the National to visit, and on a good warm evening a ride on the open bench seat cars would be a treat. I got a cab ride in the locomotive back in the late 80's.

There are also some places that would make great photo ops, and I think that a tour/trip would be a boost for them and the National.

Do they still run out the ex-PRR mainline and do a run-around?

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I should throw the promotion in for Steamtown as well. Apparently its in Scranton, but its a real haven for steam as well. :)

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I should throw the promotion in for Steamtown as well. Apparently its in Scranton, but its a real haven for steam as well. :)

Avantidon
11-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Train Museum across the street is an excellant place to visit full of lots of engines, frieght cars and passenger cars. GG-1 is still in the yard with others. Train runs from Strasburg to the mainline in Paradise. Ir is about 6.5 miles or a little more one way.

Steamtown is indeed in Scranton and as stated a great place for steam. it is a National Park Service site and well maintained. The major problem it is approximately 120 miles plus from Lancaster and beyond a day trip range for the meet. The KRCSDC has been to Steamtown as a club and we had a blast.

Since there seems to be some interest I will explore what we might be able to provide for those who are interested.

Avantidon
11-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Train Museum across the street is an excellant place to visit full of lots of engines, frieght cars and passenger cars. GG-1 is still in the yard with others. Train runs from Strasburg to the mainline in Paradise. Ir is about 6.5 miles or a little more one way.

Steamtown is indeed in Scranton and as stated a great place for steam. it is a National Park Service site and well maintained. The major problem it is approximately 120 miles plus from Lancaster and beyond a day trip range for the meet. The KRCSDC has been to Steamtown as a club and we had a blast.

Since there seems to be some interest I will explore what we might be able to provide for those who are interested.