1953 Commander Coupe Trunk Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Commander Coupe Trunk Emblem

OK, So I have this 53 Commander that did not have the trunk emblem. The hood has the tristar with the 8. I figured the back would be the same. I ordered the tristar with the 8 above and does not fit the holes. It might take the V emblem with the 8 on it but that does not look like it fits the holes either. The trunk could be from a different car. Any thoughts what the emblem should be? I can drill the holes for the tristar but the other holes will show.

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

That hood emblem is an early production emblem and if memory serves it should be the same for the for the rear trunk. I don't know at what point the emblem change but it did to just an 8 in the V.

By the way, I will have pictures of the quarter panels and all the other parts that I am selling tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

The "Tri-star" on the hood should be chrome, and as Bob said, were early production '53 only. That's incidental.
      I agree with Bob. I've never replaced the later '53-'55 deck emblem but suspect--from the location of the holes in your picture--the rear deck is from one of the later models and would accept the "V" and "8" combination (not my experience, mind you). If so, both pieces are available NOS from SI.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If the Car is a Serial Number less than the Mercedes Conflict change from Tri-Star to "V" and the hood seems to say it IS, it should have the Tri-Star, and of course they are not the same because of Hood angle vs Decklid, also size.

But if it matters not to you, go with what you can drill the Decklid to fit, since all Emblems are reproduction it is possible the mounting Pins are wrong on both, use what ever holes fit and drill the rest.

Not sure if the Champion "S" used the same holes as the Commander "8", that could be the difference; a Champion Decklid.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On a slightly related topic.....

The later 1953-55 V & 8 Trunk emblems are no the same as the similar appearing emblems on 1962 Larks. If you are ordering from the SI catalog be careful, the chrome V they have listed is for 1953-55 cars but the gold 8 (p/n 1343241VP) is for a 1962 model and will only fit the later V. Although the later parts are obviously a clever modification of earlier tooling, the difference is that the 1962 version is taller in profile to fit a slightly different trunk lid contour. Also, there was no V & S emblem used on 1962 Lark 6 cylinder models.

Chris.

Comment

Is the dealer emblem from Snider Studebaker of Indianapolis?

Comment

Yes, Snider Dealership in Indy.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

There are a few erroneous comments here. Only the South Bend built cars had the change in hood and trunk emblems during the 1953 model year. The Vernon (LA) California built 1953s maintained the tristar emblems front and rear throughout the model year. Since the poster is from Arizona, the car and or the trunk lid may be from a California, not Indiana built car.
                Is the interior reinforcement of the trunk lid correct for a 1953?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The car was sold in Indiana and was a Wisconsin car. I Brought it from El Paso Texas. With the rust underneath I doubt it ever saw AZ or CA. What does the reinforced Trunk lid for the 53 look like?
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                    The car was sold in Indiana and was a Wisconsin car. I Brought it from El Paso Texas. With the rust underneath I doubt it ever saw AZ or CA. What does the reinforced Trunk lid for the 53 look like?
                    What is the Serial Number of the car?
                    The interior of the 1953 trunk lid has rectangular openings (1955 and later lids have round openings)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This is the only number on the car.

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

8336948 that IS the Car serial number for I.D. and Registration/Titling, that makes the Car the Plate was removed from, a 1953 South Bend Commander 8.

However it has been Riveted on and the Welds ripped out, indicating it MAY not be the actual Original Serial Number as on the rear crossmember of the frame.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is the underneath of the trunk. Does this help identify the year?

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

'53-'54 lid with emblem holes for the later style V with S or 8.

I would check the s/n tag as Gary mentions as compared to the frame number (if its still there). The body parts book gives the S/N break from the tri stars to the V emblems.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                              '53-'54 lid with emblem holes for the later style V with S or 8.

I would check the s/n tag as Gary mentions as compared to the frame number (if its still there). The body parts book gives the S/N break from the tri stars to the V emblems.
                              Note the Depressions in the bottom of the Inner Structure for the Low Mount '53 Trunk Handle Fasteners, I don't think a '54 has those.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X