Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many other pre-war President owners are out there???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many other pre-war President owners are out there???

Whats up everyone?! I am just curious to how many more pre-war President car owners are out there. I rarely see 1940 Presidents at car shows. Where yall at?!?!?!

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

1937 President Coupe

Here is a picture of mine.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
      Here is a picture of mine.
      Mighty Fine Looking Car Sir!!!!

Comment

We are here, but this is not the forum for people who know much about, or care about the pre-war cars. Owners tend to be older folks who are not forum members and often do not even have computer access. It's hard to paint people with a broad brush, so forum members don't jump on my back for my generalized statement, just trying to answer the man's question.

Are you a member of the Antique Studebaker Club, if not you should join? There you will find 1200-1500, pre-war people who tend to view the Studebaker world a great deal differently then the people on this forum. You might want to expand your forum search to the AACA forum and scroll down to the Studebaker portion. I think that you may feel more at home there then you do here.

Comment

Hi

The divide between pre-war and post-war interests comes from the fact that most participants here, while enjoy seeing pre-war examples, have no personal experience directly with such cars. Other than the V8 engine and automatic transmission, postwar models are mechanically and functionally similar to the pre-war models.

And as studegary points out "For example, the front suspension of a 1951-1966 car is completely different from that of a prewar car. " Edited 10-30-2015

Other than the ASC and whatever scattered pre-war Studebaker ownership is found in the AACA, collecting of pre-war Studebakers is, for one of the largest independent carmakers, relatively low. This is true even more so for the top-end Presidents. Enjoy your '40 President and know showing it serves to educated attendees that such cars were built, however rarely they're encountered now.

Steve
          Last edited by 56H-Y6; 10-30-2015, 04:58 AM. Reason: Forgot the postwar suspension changes

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
            Hi

Other than the V8 engine and automatic transmission, postwar models are mechanically and functionally similar to the pre-war models.

Steve
            Except for the very early postwar models, I take exception to your statement. For example, the front suspension of a 1951-1966 car is completely different from that of a prewar car.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is harder to get a count of prewar vs. postwar cars via things like registrations. Except for modified cars, most prewar cars are transported to shows and may not be registered with the state. (I know that there is a small percentage that is driven on a semi regualr basis.)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                It is harder to get a count of prewar vs. postwar cars via things like registrations. Except for modified cars, most prewar cars are transported to shows and may not be registered with the state. (I know that there is a small percentage that is driven on a semi regualr basis.)
                I am part of the small percentage that drive on the road!!!!

...Although I can only drive 4-6 miles at the moment...

Comment

I have a 1940 President Club Sedan. This car is a street rod. Pontiac V8, Camaro subframe, Thunderbird seats. tilt, cruise, air. A great and comfortable road car.

Denny L
                  Sun City, AZ

Comment

Hallabutt I agree with you. I do see a lot of pre-war postings on the AACA forum.

Comment

I have owned a 1940 President 4 door sedan for about a year now. Considering that it hadn't traveled 10,000 miles since 1959 I'm running the wheels off it. I've put over 800 miles on it in the last year.

Ken

Comment

I have owned probably a dozen prewar Presidents and currently have three, two '40 Club Sedans and a '36 Coupe. One of the '40s is in the museum in South Bend and the other out in my garage (photos below). There are hundreds of pre-war Presidents extant 1927-42).

Click image for larger version

Name:	129 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1701260Click image for larger version

Name:	178 copy.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1701261Click image for larger version

Name:	website image copy2.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1701262Click image for larger version

Name:	053 copy.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1701263

- - - Updated - - -
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I've owned dozens of pre 42 presidents and commanders. Still have 29 president roadster, 29 president touring, 30 president cabriolet, 41 president coupe, 41 president land cruiser and 41 commander coupe.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome collections yall have!!!!

Comment

I have a 1937 president convertible sedan
                              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X