Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D-printed parts?

Anybody dabble in 3D-printing?

I may upload a couple of STL files for shift knobs later if anybody is interested.

Or if somebody hasn't beat me to it....
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Heck, you can have one "for all your own"!!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...en2=,#Overview Bob

Comment

OK, they're based in the UK, but these guys are really pushing the envelop for recreating parts for the classic car hobby
      3D Engineers. Established 2007. Award winning and press featured CAD and 3D Scanning experts. Solidworks qualified.
      Richard
      sigpic

Comment

Just for CASOs and us other mere mortal amateurs, I'm throwing out "Doug's Studebaker fun pack #1"! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1097574
        Last edited by DougHolverson; 10-28-2015, 10:11 AM.
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Where did you get that printed Doug? I have a few files I'd like to print for prototypes but haven't done much work trying to find someone to actually print them up.

Comment

Some public libraries have 3D printers.
            StudeRick & Johna
            Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1963 Avanti
            1961 Lark Wagon
            1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I am very familiar with both Makerbot and Stratasys. You can see some of the lines in the final product as these are built in layers.

Comment

I worked with the Stratasys machines for over 10 years. I got to run the FDM2000 and Maxum, which had the largest build envelope of any machine. I did get to design and make a few interesting things for fun. I can still get stuff made, but not in-house anymore.

Fused Deposition Modeling is the Stratasys manufacturing method and for long time (maybe still) had the strongest materials - usually ABS.
                If you design something to be built using FDM remember that the vertical levels have less resolution that horizontal (our layers were .010 thick) and because of the layering method the strength is little less in that direction - kind of like a grain in wood, but not as bad. For this reason the operator needs to understand how the part is to be fastened to other parts or used as a working part. The orientation of the computer file in the 3D space can be critical for a part meant to function. Orientation often has a HUGE impact on the time needed to build an object. For instance, a part with through-holes will usually be best built with the holes vertical. You get rounder holes (better resolution) AND they don't need to be filled with support material, which they would need if built oriented horizontally. Support structures for overhangs are a very large time consumer to build, but for all but the simplest parts are unavoidable. The factors to balance are: desired resolution for certain features, cost (=build time), and functionality.
                Other types of rapid prototyping are built with powders rather than extruded filament and do not have much of that "grain" issue, really, but until recently (I believe) the tensile strength of the materials offered could not match ABS. They do, however, make for better patterns for molding because the resolution is finer.
                The technology and especially materials have evolved a lot and I'm not sure exactly where everything stands at this moment.
                Last edited by Scott; 10-29-2015, 05:05 PM.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

In the past I've dealt with a few places to get SLS parts for work, but the price has increased quite a bit from what I saw even a few years ago.

As we've increased sample quantities we've actually started getting injected molded parts. The initial cost is greater, but you get production quality parts for a few dollars a piece afterwards.

Protolabs is the worldโ€™s fastest source for custom prototypes and low-volume production parts. Get an interactive quote with free design analysis within hours.

Comment

With todays tech. any part can be re-manufactured. This stuff is just crazy cool. The fun begins at about the 1 min. mark.

I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

There's a 3d printed '51 Studebaker radio button on this site.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/GLG3UZ2WB/studebaker-radio-button?li=user-profile&optionId=56339187

They also have some miniature US6 trucks and some '55-'56 Packards in different scales.

Shop the Shapeways 3D Printing marketplace for Jewelry, Accessories, Gadgets, Miniatures, Home and Lighting, or various unique pieces of Art.

Shop the Shapeways 3D Printing marketplace for Jewelry, Accessories, Gadgets, Miniatures, Home and Lighting, or various unique pieces of Art.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I can get the vent window rubber for my '57 Packard wagon done on a 3D printer.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                          Hmmm, maybe I can get the vent window rubber for my '57 Packard wagon done on a 3D printer.
                          Great idea !
                          There are "rubber like" materials available for 3D printers.
                          I couldn't find info on UV resistance or how long the pieces last before they return to powder.
                          Are the materials designed to last, or to last just long enough to find if the piece will fit ?
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                            Have you tried Valerie Hansen out of Nashville?

Comment

Yes. I tried her dad many years ago, but even Bill didn't have any.
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X