New Member Intro 1949 Studebaker Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Intro 1949 Studebaker Truck

Hi everyone! I wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Rob, and typically I play/restore/buy 80-90's Japanese and German origin cars. I stumbled across this 1949 Studebaker truck and picked it up this past weekend. It has had two owners (other than myself), the original owner who bought it as a delivery truck for a mom and pop grocery store in central NC deliveries. The owner I bought it from was a studebaker nut out of Burlington, NC and restored her for car shows. The title is clear.

I have a few questions and thought this would be a good place to start.

Is there a specific model designation for this truck? It is rear wheel drive, has a flat six and three speed on the column shifter.

The interior is in nice shape, and it was driven daily and parked in a barn as it needed brake cylinder work when the owner passed away in the early 2000's. Overall the car has all it's chrome lettering, emblems and stock mirror(s) and doesn't appear to be missing much. There is very minimal if any rust as the car was fully restored in the mid 70's by the second owner. I've included a picture of the car in

If I wanted to see if she'll crank am I best to do like I would on any older car?

I.e. clean out the old fuel and refill
    Change coolant and oil
    slowly turn the engine by hand
    Crank the car via a new battery

Is that recommended for a car of this age?

Also, any idea what the value on this vehicle would be if she runs? or if she doesn't? I may want to flip her as 6v and american cars are a bit "foreign" to me

Thanks in advance for any advise and wisdom!
    Last edited by slidemx5; 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM. Reason: Added pics

Welcome to the Forum! Good catch on the truck. There will be truck experts following up with more information, but the best bet is to post the serial number of the truck. Your straight (not flat, that would be a Porsche or Subie) 6 is the type that it came with originally - Stude V-8s were a year or two in the future in 49.

As to what to do, here is a link to start with:

Good luck.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Comment

I assume this photo is from 30 or more years ago. Nice looking truck! The mechanicals are basically like any other truck or car of the same time period. Assuming that nothing was modernized, it should have a 6-volt, positive ground electrical system. Most likely with a new battery, light sanding/cleaning of the ignition points and a little fuel down the carburetor, it will probably fire right up for a moment (until the fuel is burned out of the carburetor). Good luck!
      [img][/img]
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yes Milaca that photo is from 1977 post restoration and pre-what it looks like now

Comment

When I was at the 1975 ACC basketball tournament I stayed in Burlington, NC and spotted a 1/2 ton truck with a flatbed. It was unrestored at the time and as I recall was painted black. Wonder if it is the same truck? I also spotted a Packard Hawk on the same trip.
          Last edited by Guido; 10-28-2015, 05:58 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

It looks like he decided to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Crandall View Post

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5287591608.html
              Wow, that was quick.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Crandall View Post

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5287591608.html
                Looks like the car parked next to it in the 1977 picture is this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ager-Ambulance

Craig

Comment

To answer the original question, your truck is probably a model 2R5-12, where the 2R5 indicates a half-ton truck with a 171 cu in Champion 6. The 12 means it has a wheelbase of 112". The model number should be on a plate on the driver's side seat riser. The 2R series was built all the way through 1953, though there were a lot of running changes.

All mechanical parts for the truck are available through a variety of vendors.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    Wow, that was quick.
                    Not entirely sure if we're selling it or not, but I figured I'd put it up in case the right offer comes along. As I said, a car of this vintage is new to me and a bit intimidating.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    To answer the original question, your truck is probably a model 2R5-12, where the 2R5 indicates a half-ton truck with a 171 cu in Champion 6. The 12 means it has a wheelbase of 112". The model number should be on a plate on the driver's side seat riser. The 2R series was built all the way through 1953, though there were a lot of running changes.

All mechanical parts for the truck are available through a variety of vendors.
                    http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Thanks, we're going to have it towed to my shop this weekend and I'll take a look at the model number, appreciate your information!

Comment

Originally posted by slidemx5 View Post
                      Not entirely sure if we're selling it or not, but I figured I'd put it up in case the right offer comes along. As I said, a car of this vintage is new to me and a bit intimidating.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to be intimidated. This is likely the simplest, least intimidating vehicle you've ever worked on. (However, don't try to use your metric tools!)
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I would love to see more pictures. Inside and out would be nice. I don't think I have seen a Studebaker 1/2 ton flatbed.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by slidemx5 View Post
                          Hope you do keep it, we need more North Carolina Studebaker folks.

If you haven't already found them, here are two NC resources:
                          NC Chapter Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/NCSDC
                          NC Chapter Internet site: http://www.ncsdc.net/
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            I would love to see more pictures. Inside and out would be nice. I don't think I have seen a Studebaker 1/2 ton flatbed.
                            Agree, they're rare. But factory stake bodies were available on 2R trucks in all tonnage ratings.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              Agree, they're rare. But factory stake bodies were available on 2R trucks in all tonnage ratings.
                              I figured it was factory. The homemade versions I have seen never look that good.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X