The front end is back on the hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The front end is back on the hawk

I am in the process of getting a title for my Silver Hawk and was requested to get current pictures of all sides of the car by the DMV. They told me the car needs to at least look road worthy otherwise they would not issue a title for it. So yesterday my buddy and I put the front end back on the car. Unfortunately by the time we were finished, it was pretty late and too dark to get the pictures for the DMV, but I did manage to take some to post here. The car is a bit dusty but at least its finally back together.

I also put some of the stainless trim back on and finished block sanding and priming the roof black. Its far from show car quality , but I like it this way. I never really planned to restore it, just wanted to use it to drive to car shows and swap meets. I got it running and fixed the brakes so the only thing holding me back is the DMV at the moment.

Just to give you an idea of what I had to work with, the first pics are the "before" pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	1959Hawk1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1748940Click image for larger version

Name:	1959Hawk2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1748941Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2478.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1748942Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2469.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1748943Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2484.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1748944

Looking good! Another member of the herd saved from the crusher! Good job!
    The DMV should be happy with your work.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Cool! You can inspire me to pick up my pieces.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Thanks guys! I am really excited to have it back together again. I bought this car 15 years ago and due to circumstances I never had the car as close to being roadworthy as it is now. It was all I could afford at the time of purchase, but these old Hawks have always been dream cars for me so I had to buy it. Now hopefully Ill get to drive it before winter hits!

Comment

Is it a fiddly job to put the front on...shims, alignment, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
            Is it a fiddly job to put the front on...shims, alignment, etc...
            Yes!! But start with the hood installed and gaped at the cowl and be sure the doors are correctly installed also. Been there, done that, got the Tee-Shirt. Bob

Comment

Gap should be what inches...between the cowl and hood?

Comment

I need to do some more adjustments to get it to fit just right. The car has some frame damage on the drivers side so I didnt bother trying to align anything yet. After I get it pulled straight Ill make sure everything is aligned correctly. I am just surprised I was able to get it looking as straight as I did considering. I just wanted to get the front clip on the car so I can snap some pictures for the DMV. However, seeing how everything is bolted down tight, I might sneak it around the block for its maiden voyage

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  Gap should be what inches...between the cowl and hood?
                  Do you want the OEM specs or what I try to do? Factory spec seems to be "close enough is close enough" remember that panel fit back in that era was not a high priority for any auto company. Personally on my 54K I tried to get the gaps to look about even all the way around and that meant adding metal to the drivers door on that side. Generally around here the accepted gap is usually considered about the thickness of a paint stirring stick so I'd start there with the cowl/hood gap but you'll need to be flexible as that gap needs to be large enough for the hood to clear the cowl when it opens.

The biggest exercise in adjusting will probably be the hood gaps at the fenders and grills. You'll see why "close enough was close enough" when you start lining up that immense piece of stamped metal called a hood.

Mine came out pretty good but it was a battle. Good luck, Bob

Last thought, check the crown on the hood vs the cowl shape. A lot of hoods tend to flatten out with age and use. If it's lower than the cowl it will catch unless the gap is fairly large.
                  Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-27-2015, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X